King Quad 300 engine compression (pressure test) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 09:59 PM
sebastien

King Quad 300 engine compression (pressure test)

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a used 1998 Suzuki King Quad 300 (280 cc) and I think that it would be a good idea to have its engine compression verified by the dealer before. So, I would like to know what a good shape engine's compression would be, psi wise. Knowing this, chances are lower to get fooled by the dealer. :-)

By the way, I have another question. I'm looking for an ATV with a very low speed range because I want to use it in the woods, on a steep mountain. That's why I naturally thought of the KQ 300 with its well-known "Super-low" range. But I also wonder if a Yamaha Big Bear Professional could be slow enough for my need. Is there anyplace where I could find a chart showing the actual "ground speed" at each gear, at a given rpm, as we often see in tractors brochures? Such a chart would help me make a choice.

EX:

Range Gear Speed
Low 1 0,5 m/h
Low 2 1,9 m/h
Low 3 8,4 m/h
Low 4 11,9 m/h
Low 5 20,9 m/h
High 1 18,5 m/h
High 2 26,9 m/h
High 3 32,4 m/h
High 4 41,9 m/h
High 5 50,9 m/h

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 01:09 PM

Re: King Quad 300 engine compression (pressure test)

That motor really needs to be kept up on it's valve adjustments. Make sure you have that done when you get it. And ask what kind of oil was run in it.

Jesse
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 10:41 PM
sebastien

Hi Jesse,

thanks for your comment. I will follow your advice regarding the valve adjustment. You're quite right because a brother of mine owns the same atv model and had to readjust the valves. It worked very well afterward.

I'm just coming back from the dealer and I bought it! I'll pick it up tomorrow. Since it's a dealer, I guess he won't know much about the oil that was used before. Do you have any oil type to recommend?

(As you surely have noticed, English is not my native tongue :-)

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 12:08 PM

Just use the regular 10 - 40W Suzuki in cold weather and use the 20-50W Suzuki.

Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode