trying to figure out whats what? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 12:32 PM
jeeperwannabe

trying to figure out whats what?

im just starting to look for a good utility quad and have seen the term "preload adjustable" shocks. what does this mean, can you actually adjust them or are the adjusted at the factory? also are there any major thangs to consider when looking? i just want a play toy around the yard and do a lil bit of easy trai riding.. not looking to buy one of the BIG toys. any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 01:22 PM

Re: trying to figure out whats what?

There are a lot of different shocks that are avaialbale today. They range from non-adjustable, pre-set inexpensive shocks to preload adjustable to piggy back shocks.

Pre-load adjustable is when the spring on the shock is adjustable. This ranges from a ratchet mechanism on the bottom of the shock to a set of rings that can be tightened or loosened just like a nut on a bolt.

Piggy back shocks are a more performance oriented shock. THey have rebound, dampening almost an infinate amount of adjustment.

As far as a good utility machine, there are many different options. Depends on what you want to spend, 2x4 or 4x4, and the intended usage.

Jesse
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 06:29 PM

Re: trying to figure out whats what?

I would go with the bigger 2x4's or the smaller 4x4's for what u said for what u are going to do wit ur quad. For the bigger 2x4's, you can get like the ds 650, raptor660, or predator 500. Those are all nice quads, even though i like hondas too much, i wouldnt get the honda 450r, it is kinda built bad (no offence to all of you 450r riders), it is a nice quad to have, but there are better things out there for you. For the smaller 4x4's, the kodiak is nice built by yamaha, or the rancher 350, or 400 built by honda, or the eiger built by suzuki. Those are what i would preferebly go with those quads, and sorry for all of you 450r riders what i said about them, i didnt want to make honda look bad, but it dont come out to the best top quad. sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode