Polaris vs Yammaha - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 09:33 AM
kingofatvs

Polaris vs Yammaha

I have a Polaris 700 Twin EFI Sportsman and my Dad has just bought himself a Yammaha Kodiac 500. We are having an overall dispute over which one is better. I obviously want mine to be better but i would also like other people to share their views on this.

King Of Atv's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 11:18 AM

Re: Polaris vs Yammaha

Well lets think about this.

Better for who and what?

It's all realtive. I have outperformed a 700 Sportsman with an Eiger 400. Now, now... We were in about 2 1/2 feet of snow and the sportsman had a very hard aggressive tread pattern. I was running stock tires with low pressure. the snow was very dry and fluffy and the less wait and low pressure gave me a marked advantage. THAT DAY!!!!!

Now, if we were in a mud bog or in large rocks his power and ground clearance would out do my machine hands down. No contest. However, this is a prime example of just because he paid almost 1 3/4 times more than I did, has almost double the CC's and aftermarket tires, on that day an inexpensive, bone stock machine, outperformed the other.

Your buddy's Yami might be the best machine out there for him, and you might think your machine is the best for you. I've been in very few situations that a 700 could go where my 500 couldn't. For that matter my 400, but you did pay more for your machines so it has more options/power etc. but that doesn't necessarily it's a better machine for every person out there.

Each machine being built today is a good machine. It's like saying Ford is better than Chevy or Dodge. Allthough that's impossible, just like a Polaris being better than anything is impossible...... it may just be on a specific day on a specific mountain. well, in fantasy land anyway. ha ha
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 06:11 AM
kingofatvs

I have taken in to concideration what you said, and although ive only had my Polaris 700 3 months the next time i go looking for a quad i will get one that is lighter. Possibly if im going to be sticking with polaris then the Magnum 500, could be a better choice.
The Towing Capacity is more than adiquate but although mine did cost more the Yami that my dad owns, it does pritty much pull the same ammount as mine, yes mine has a bigger engine, but it is also bigger in size.

The lesson that i have learnt from this is simple....Size is not evrything. It might be bigger,it might be more powefull, but just because your cost more doesnt always means that it will easly out perform the rest.

Its like you said, just because its bigger it doesnt mean that is the best, ALL ATV'S SERVE THEIR PERPOSE. THEY ARE ALL GOOD IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

King Of Atv's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 04:19 PM
LaMigraTx

I have to agree with you guys all ATVs have their strong and weak points. This is one reason why I started do some polling questions for different machines on my website. I want to try and provide a better insight for people when they decide to buy an ATV, since they aren't cheap and you want to find the best one to fit you. In gathering all of this information and doing the research I know for myself a machine has to have five or six critical features. It really comes down to what do you want to do with the machine, how much are you willing to pay, and most importantly are you comfortable with the machine. No one should ever put down another persons machine, these are all great machines.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 06:45 PM
GRIZZ32

HAVE A GRIZZLY 2004 660 AND LOVE IT. BUT IT IS RIGHT FOR ME IT TOOK ME 2 YEARS TO FIND THE RIGHT ONE FOR ME, AND YOU NEED TO FIND THE RIGHT ONE FOR YOU. HOW DO YOU WANT TO RIDE? LOOK AROUND FOR THE ONE THAT BEST FITS YOU NOT SOMEONE ELSE, BECAUSE THEY ARE A LOT OF MONEY

GRIZZ
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 04:44 PM

possibly look at some 2x4's too. I have raced and went through more mud like the kid with the eiger, like the one guys said, all atv's have there purpose on this earth. I made my decision witht a 2x4, and i have no doubt of selling it in the future cause it has enough power to overcome some of the 4x4's out there. Preferebly, look at the bigger 2x4's, like the 660 raptor, ds 650, my 400ex has enough power to make it through alot of things, like the erie canal, and really muddy cricks, or high current cricks, i have seen ds 650's and kfx 400's go through more than i have though, and the canal that we went through, is about the muddiest i have ever went through, which is about 2 ft. water, and 1 to 2 1/2 ft. mud, which is easy compared to some 4x4's, but if u want to get a 2x4, then go that way and try out what u think is good, but if u want, go with a 4x4. they are the best machines to get for to go through what u want.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 05:43 PM

I have a 600 Grizzly....buddy has a 500 Sportsman....since I put the front locker in mine...they perform ALMOST identically....mine is a hair faster....his rides a hair smoother....otherwise can't hardly tell the difference when medium duty wheelin'.....

Both have shown to be reliable and user friendly...and they are both fun!! [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]

Cosmo

88.5 Samurai, mighty 1.3  (6” lift on the way)
98 SUB (wife)
03 HD Silverado Crew Cab (me)
98 Grizzly (with front spool locker, 26" mud runners, winch and plow)
96 Nitro w/ 150 XR6 Mercury
22’ Prowler travel trailer
I like toys….you only live once
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 05:15 PM

Something must be wrong with your grizzly.

If a grossly overweight, 500 cc machine will run alongside a 600 pound 660 cc machine; Something is wrong.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something must be wrong with your grizzly.

If a grossly overweight, 500 cc machine will run alongside a 600 pound 660 cc machine; Something is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might note that it is a 600....not a 660....and I didn't say it ran alongside....I said mine was a hair faster. Not like leave him in the dust faster, more like slowly and steadily overpowering him. I also have heavy 26" Goodyear Mud Runners...he has stock.

My old girl also has about 2500 miles on it....so it hardly performs as new....but she still runs like a champ and is super reliable....can't bust it [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Cosmo
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 11:35 AM

Hey LaMigraTX

Thank you for your polls, however, we all know they exist.

And we know where to find them.
And we know what you do there.
And we know you are offerring a lot of polls results.
And we know....

Please don't interject in topics,
just for self promotion.

Cosmo
And as far as your 600, I suppose it makes sense now.
I guess I missed the details.

Just for clarification, it wasn't meant as a slam on the Yami, more guided to Polaris guys. ha ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode