Utility ATV or SnowMobile - Question for Users? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 02:18 PM
corporatedog

Utility ATV or SnowMobile - Question for Users?

Question - I have a cabin at 5000 feet in the Sierras that IS NOT accessible by paved road over the winter months due to budget cutbacks in the Forest Service - they no longer plow the road as of this winter.

I have tried getting in using a 4x4 Grand Cherokee but get hung up in snow above 15 inches deep. Deepest snow area averages around 22 - 26 inches at this elevation.

Since I would like to spend some winter time at my place - I am looking into either an ATV or a snowmobile. I know a snowmobile will make it - but think that an ATV could be used year round for other things - unlike the snowmobile.

My question is this - is there an ATV that would be capable of driving in under these conditions? Again - figure snow depths ranging from a low of 6 inches to a depth of 24. Plan on ice on the road surface itself. Also would like to haul some supplies into the site as well. Distance to travel would be about 18 miles.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 07:53 PM

Re: Utility ATV or SnowMobile - Question for Users?

Snowmobile & sleigh would be the way to go in the deeper snow.
I like to use my quad year round as much as possible.
If you are riding up a non-traveled/plowed road about 12" is as deep as you'll get thru without too much hassle. If you can't get in with the GC the atv won't get much further.
If you are riding on packed snowmobile trails you can travel with ease as long as you stay on the trail & if you don't bust thru on a less packed trail.
How far of a trip to the cabin is it? Would it be worth plowing yourself with the atv? My cabin is a short trip up a river & I have plowed a road to get the truck in during winter. First pass with the plow lifted high, then to the ice.

R.

ooops guess I should read a bit better... 18mi would be a long plow
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 10:42 AM
erslincoln

Re: Utility ATV or SnowMobile - Question for Users?

I would say ATV, without a doubt, because like you said, you can use it year-round.

With regard to mobility in the snow, check this out:

LiteFoot

Download this puppy!

At least check it out. Might be really useful for what you're talking about.

I'm not going to lie - they're an expenditure, but man, are they awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode