Suzuki Vinson manual shift? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 01:14 PM
scoops

Suzuki Vinson manual shift?

I am looking to buy a new atv very soon and I like the Vinson. Anyone know about their pros and cons. There isn't a lot of info out there on this model. Are they reliable or do they have a lot of problems? Any info would be appreciated! What about Honda Foreman?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 11:45 AM
denmxz

Re: Suzuki Vinson manual shift?

I test drove a Vinson. It was a very nice Quad but it's not available with independent rear suspension.If you plan on doing alot of trail riding I think that independent rear suspension is the way to go. Check out the Bomardier Outlander. The largest US and Canadian ATV magazines both rated the 03 Outlander "ATV OF THE YEAR". I have always liked Honda too, but Only the 650 Rincon in the Honda line up offers independent rear suspension and is $12000.00 Canadian plus tax.I test drove 10 different machines from Suzuki,Honda Artic cat, Yamaha and Bombardier. I own a 2004 400 Outlander XT and absouletly love it. It's liquid cooled and is just as fast as any 500 and it has alot of other features that are not available on other makes. The most important thing is only Bombardier offers a 3 year warranty all the others only offer a 6 month warranty.
Don't take my word for it. Do your home work and check it out for your self. Army Vet
[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 04:44 PM
zookfan

I own a 2003 Suzuki Vinson Manual and if you want or like to shift it's the way to go. The only problem I have with it, is that the front bumper is plastic. So when you run into something it tends to bend, but it always goes right back where it was. Of course there are aftermarket steel bumpers if you think you need one. Lots of power, very fast, the 4wd works wonderfully, and it's a great choice if you ride on fast trails or even if you like the more technical stuff. Sorry, I don't know anything about a Foreman, all my family owns are Suzuki's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 10:04 PM
scoops

Thanks for your reply. All the info I get is appreciated. I know that everyone says that the independant rear suspension models have the best ride. But unfortunately there is none I have found out there that offer this in a manual shift model. I plan to work with the ATV as well as ride for pleasure. I prefer shifting gears manually and The Suzuki has even a low range sub transmission and liquid cooling that if it is dependable should be right up my ally.
If you know of any other models that have the low range and are manual shift I would like to hear about them as well. Thanks again!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 10:10 PM
scoops

Thanks for your reply. I do prefer to shift gears and am interested in knowing about the ride and handling of your 2003 Vinson. The large seat and rear suspension on the one I looked at seemed to be a lot smoother and softer than that of the Foreman's. Does your 2003 model have a pretty smooth ride and does it handle well? Thanks again!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 06:26 PM
zookfan

It rides really smoothly. I've never had any problems with it rolling in corners and the handling is very precise at all times. I've had mine since the end of June last year and it already has 1006 miles on it. I really like to ride it, of course my dad and everyone else that comes to our house likes it too. The only scary moment I've had on it was recently in a field behind our house. With all the ice we've got, I was simply riding in a straight line and turned the wheels and went for a spin but it never did offer to turn over. It did scare me though. Your Welcome. I researched it before I bought it and all the magazines say it's the best in the 500 class and runs right up there with the "Big Bore" ATV's. So good luck to you. My dad is waiting on the Suzuki 700 to come out but I don't really know anything about it other that it's a single with independent rear suspension and a locking differential. Have fun.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 11:17 AM
PrimeTimeCheech

scoops,

I bought a Vinson a few months back and I love it. Although it is an automatic, it has much of the same attributes as the manual other than the shifting. I've heard good things about the manual after they changed the tranny in 2003. Prior to 2003, I heard of some shifting difficulties, but Suzuki since refined. Overall, the quad is the best for the buck in my opinion....even though it does not have independant suspension, it has dual shocks on the rear with a atraight axle. Personally, I think the independent suspension machines are a bit overrated....I rode a 500 Arctic Cat the other day and the ride on my Vinson actually felt smoother....The Arctic Cat owner saw little difference in the ride as well. The Vinson had some attributes that I was attracted to that the others did not have such as the handle bar mounted headlight and the more durable aluminum alloy wheels. It is also lightweight and surprisingly fast....my brother has a Grizzly 600 and I stayed right with him on a straight away for nearly 200 yds. but he then began slowly pulling away with the extra 100cc engine in the grizzly! Above all is the cost...I got mine for $6000 with a 2500 Warn winch and extended warranty....No other make in the Vinson's class could compare. The only other machine that had anything on the Vinson was the Kodiak because it had the locking front diff. that I decided I could live without and I'm sure glad I did......Good Luck in you purchase whatever you decide!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode