Kawasaki vs. Polaris - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 06:37 PM
UEDGE

Kawasaki vs. Polaris

I am purchasing a new Utility ATV but am tossed between a Kawasaki Prairie 700 and a Polaris Sportsman 700. I'm going to be using the quad for a lot of trail riding and what one that is strong in all weather conditions and can wind out on the open trail. Any suggestions, advice, or other recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:56 PM

Re: Kawasaki vs. Polaris

I think the Prarie might handle a little better at high speeds, since the Polaris has independent rear suspension (if I'm not mistaken), but other than that either one should be plenty fast, reliable, and strong enough to pull any load you would want to pull with a quad.
I already have a fast quad, so if I were buying a 4x4, I would probably go for the Arctic Cat 650. Same reliable and proven engine as the Prarie 650 had, but with 10 inches of travel all around with 4 wheel independent suspension. It's heavier than most of the big 4x4's but that would just help me push more snow in the winter with the plow blade, since it should get more traction. They're not quite as fast as the Prarie 700 or the Sportsman 700, but since I'd only be using it for work or hunting it'd be perfect for me.
Good luck with your new quad whichever you choose, the choice might come down to something as simple as dealership location, price or color you like best. Either way you can't go wrong with either of those quads. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:22 PM
UEDGE

Thanks much John, your advice is helpful.
Regards,
Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 06:44 AM

<font face="comic Sans MS">I have the Polaris Sportsman 700... Definitely satisfied with the power, handling and ride quality at all speeds, up to and including 55mph (it'll go faster, but I've not had a chance yet to open it up beyond that)... It's good in the mud... I've not tried much in terms of trail riding, but the stuff I've done it's handled very well... I intend to stiffen up the suspension slightly but the rear can be adjusted easily, I've just not yet gotten around to it... The fronts you'd need to swap out springs for stiffer ones... </font>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 11:48 AM
GTA

The Polaris will provide you with a much smoother ride on the trails and more versatility in the mud and over large obsticles. The Prairie is a hot rod. Very fast and snappy acceleration. Much of this is due to the solid rear axle. 4x4 operation is much simpler on the Polaris, flip one switch and both front tires lock when AWD engages. The Prairie requires you to hold in a "lock" lever the entire time you need true 4x4.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 08:35 PM

I won the atvccs utility class on a sportsman 700,i now lead the points race in the sr.over 40 class against honda and suzuki's 400's.both the kawasaki and polaris are great bikes,However if you want both simply buy the arctic cat 650,it has the 4 wheel ind. susp. as well as the kawasaki engine.heck of a deal! Gary
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 09:51 PM
kawyypro101

i would rater a kawasaki over a polaris because the kaw can go fast like 60 plus and i also races it in mud and i always beat 700 polaris and rincons. and i think is it better to have the pull in haddle with the kaw because when u race in mud u have the easy to pull in handle on and off so when u start to slip u can pull it in and get ur traction back but with the polaris u either have or u dont and when u do have the button in u loose speed. so i rather have a kaw over a polaris but that is only my opinoin. but u do have a good point softer threw trails, but when u are towing somthing u loose ground clearence. me and my friend have one and we go threw trails every day and even tho it dose not have indepent susp the speed and the acc makes up for it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 11:15 AM
davey_b

defently the kawi its just a much better quad lighter handles better and much more power
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 01:47 PM

In rebuttal to GTA's view of 4 wheel drive

:"4x4 operation is much simpler on the Polaris, flip one switch and both front tires lock when AWD engages"

Although simple operation of 4 wheel drive is important, the actually mechanics of how it works can be more important. When you engage the 4 wheel drive sysytem on a Polaris you are still in 2 wheel drive. It requires the rear wheels to spin a certain amount and then eventually engages the front WHEEL, then after the one wheel spins, the other wheel starts to engage at the same rate as the first.

Then when going downhill, since the rear wheels have to spin, it offers little front wheel hold back when descending a hill. How important is that? Try it out next time your out in the mud or snow, just put your machines in 2wd and have fun rolling out the pucker marks at the bottom of the mountain.

The Kawasaki is in 4 wheel drive works if you are going uphill, downhill, in reverse, or on its top, it doesn't matter. And true front wheel engagement is also progressive. Meaning if you need easier steering you can let off the lock and then get back on. YOU can control it, not the other way around.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 01:12 PM
GotMud

I own a Polaris Sportsman 700 Efi, And I have not had any problems at all, ive had the Atv for over a year and use it every day on the farm. On Stock tires, i still aint got stuck, its as quick as anything else. However Ive heard the Kaw is also a respectable machine. Both im shure will be acceptable. The choice is yours

Sportsman 700 EFI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode