Rincon vs. Foreman - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 01:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rincon vs. Foreman

I am on a hunt for my dream atv. I came to the conclusion that it was in the 2003 honda utility line-up. These are my top 2 choises.

'03 Honda Rincon ($7600)
'03 Honda Foreman ES ($6400)

If anyone has ridden or has any of the previously mentioned atv's tell me how they perform on harsh terrain such as mud, water, ice, snow,(2 or more feet) and anywhere else atv's can be ridden. Normally I'd go with the Rincon but that seems kind of expensive. I also want to know if the Rincon has electronic shifting of is it the hondamatic transmission. Keep in mind the prices but also tell me your experiences on these atv's. I will using it 80% for fun and 20% for work. I want it to last me for atleast 20 years so I want this to be my only atv until I am 30. Right now I'm 15. Tell me anything you know about these atv's. I will be thankful for any info. Please also tell me how long these atv's will last me. I will be riding it constantly in the weather conditions I already stated. I'll also be riding on packed roads and trails. Sorry for talking so much but I need to make the right decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 06:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rincon vs. Foreman

i just rode the rincon 650. a friend just bought it. very nice machine. we rode through mud half way up the wheels. it does not have true 4 wheel drive though. it has a limited slip front end, but with the power it doesn't make that much of difference. i have a sportsman 700 and the honda will not hang with it. but the honda rides very nice and it responds to throttle input very quikly. i do have to say that i like the tranny. it is like a car. when you take off it will shift in auto mode like a car. you can also shift via electronic buttons through 3 gears or take off in 2nd or 3rd gear. it will probably respond well to a performance pipe. overall rating= 7.5 out of 10. plush ride!
not very fast but very quick and responsive. not very much body roll but not aggressive enough suspension for hard riding. very nice machine. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 10:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Either machine would work great. The Rincon is a sportier quad than the Foreman. Not sure how the Rincon Radial tires hold up, other than they used stocks with heavier side walls on the Baja 1000 quads. I do know that the Dunlop tires on the ES are not that good. This won't matter if you're getting different tires.
So I guess if you want more of a utility work horse go with the Foreman ES. If you have the extra cash and want more of a sporty work horse go with Rincon.

BTW the Rincon does not have the Hondamatic, it has a three speed auto-style automatic with a hydraulic torque converter with ESP (electric shift program).
Also it has good engine braking in ESP mode.
Hope this might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 10:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I own a 1998 Foreman 450ES and a 1987 Fourtrax 250X. I have about 4000 miles on my foreman and never had any problems. I remember, almos five years ago, when I first rode my foreman: I just could not believe the quality of this machine. I was thinking that Honda created another perfect machine. I really love my foreman, it rides great all year around. I'm from Canada and I do lots of riding in the winter in temperature as cold as -40. Both of my Hondas are always riding without a glitch even in that weather. Just when I thought that it could not be better, my honda dealer made me an offer that I couldn't refuse. He let me use is Rincon for the weekend. I picked it up yesterday and I drove it last nite and all day today. I just got back in the house. I put 95 miles on that machine which is already at 815 miles. WHOWWWW, this quad is awesome. The torque is unbelievable, the suspension is making the ride so different. The transmission is working flawlessly, even though the temperature was at -35 F which is almost -100 deg F (windchill factor) when you are travelling at 30 mph. Today, I was riding in tight & bumpy wooden trails, on frozen lake and in up to 18 inches of snow. The tranny has only three speeds but the engine has such a wide powerband that the quad feels strong at any speed. I just love that Rincon. It is very well built like any Honda products. I raced two years on the pro circuit with my 250X and I like it when I can go fast. With the Rincon, I can do this. All I had to do was to select the 2 wheel drive and the tranny in manual mode and it felt as fun as riding my 250X. This machine is has powerful as a moose but as agile as a deer. The Baja 1000 race result is there to prove it. If you wish to do lots of riding I recommend the Rincon for its agility and its confort. But if you wish to use your quad for work also, I recommend the Foreman 450 ES, because of its extra rack space. Believe it or not, I carried half a bull moose on the rear rack of that Quad. I'm happy that both of your choice are Hondas. Like you said, you want your ATV to last twenty years. Well, you can't go wrong with Honda. No other manufacturer has a better reliability record. My 250X is now 16 years old and it is still riding strong. Even though, it had been ridden very hard on the racing circuit.

I wish you good luck with your decision.

Happy riding!!

I just can't wait until tomorrow morning, I'll get dress warm again and go burn some more gas!!

Mike [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode