hard steering polaris - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 10:54 PM
pokie

hard steering polaris

Anybody else out there had any problems with really stiff steering on a 2000 sportsman 500. Even in 2WD this takes just about everything I've got to crank this thing from right to left under about 10 MPH. The only way I can get it to even free up a little bit is to run the front tire pressure up to about 20 pounds. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 06:45 PM

Re: hard steering polaris

I sure do my 1999 sportsman steers like a tank. Hope someone can help.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 07:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steering problems? I had a 2000 sportsman also, and it did turn very hard! The only cure for it is to buy a 2001 or newer sportsman.. Polaris had installed a bearing on the steering shaft and this allowed for much easier steering..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 04:46 PM
pokie

The new polaris has a bearing on the steering shaft that makes it easy to steer, or is there a bearing that can be put on the 2000? I did'nt understand your answer. I cant figure out what to do with this thing, I mean this thing is so stiff that after about an hour of just toolin through the woods your arms start to hurt so bad that it pretty much takes all the enjoyment out of riding.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 03:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All that I am aware of is that bearing set-up is only available to the 2001 and newer sportsman...You'd have to ask the dealer if you can install the bearing kit or if you have to purchase a whole new steering shaft. Have you checked your alignment on the front?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 05:27 PM
pokie

Thats a real good question. How do I go about checking it, I guess the dealer is the only way? If there is an easy way to check it or measure how much toe it should have let me know. Thanks.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Different Tires make mine steer nice

I went from stock tires to a vampire 27" and the big knobbies have less surface area on the ground, which makes the steering very easy now to steer. I would stay with the 25" tires thought because with the big 27"'s once you get it is very easty to break an axle.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 that is incredibly tough to steer. At some points it takes all my strength to turn from one way to the other at low speeds. I guess there is a bushing on the steering shaft that wears out easily and basically controls the ease of steering, but it is very tough to get to. I hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode