Best Affordable off-road ATV - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Best Affordable off-road ATV

I am currently in search for a ATV. I need one capable of climbing steep terrian, and handle rough off-road driving. But I am not really sure which one is the best. So if you could please help me by listing the best ATV's that would work best in the areas I will be driving.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 08:59 PM
FordDiesel

Re: Best Affordable off-road ATV

Well, I have a new Suzuki Eiger. It's a 400cc, 4x4, automatic. The 4wd is selectable so I can run either 2 or 4 wheel drive. The tranny has a hi, lo, and reverse gear. It has some neat features that I've noticed on a few other rides too such as a "cigerette lighter" type power source for charging cell phones, GPS, spotlights, ect. It also has a place to mount a winch right into the front bumper wich I've also seen on some other rides.

I use mine to get around my land (in the Texas Hill country, so it sees a lot of hills and steep climbs), move trailers around, pull downed trees (keep in mind this is Central Texas, no 100' pines here [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), pull a 16' trailer full with brush, cross the creek, hunting, and all sorts of other chores around the ranch. I even recently raised 2 walls of my barn with it.

I drive a crew cab long bed truck, so with all the oak trees on my place it's hard to manuver unless I'm on one of the trails, so I use my wheeler a lot in the short time I've had it. This guy will stay a part of my family of vehicles and tools for a long time.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The last few weeks I was in the same position... wasn't sure about which brand/model/size/features/price/ etc... Now I've been off-roading for years via a Jeep and know enough about axles/lockers/gears/tires/suspensions etc.. to know what's good and what's a bunch of shiny useless fluff... so that being said, here's what I learned.

Hondas are highly revered and dependable good machines. But, I used to do the Jetskii thing and ran with Yamaha... so I was biased. Ultimately I went with Honda over the Yamaha because the financing was better, the price was the same for what I wanted in my area, I have several friends who have owned Hondas for years with no complaints and I liked the features of the Honda over the Yamaha.

I looked at all the different mfgs before I decided trying to keep an open mind at each. I think the others have basically caught up to each other in the areas of dependability and features... myself, I like Hondas transmission better than the others... when the day came it was between the Yamaha Kodiak and the Honda Foreman... the Foreman was more to my liking... but if you don't care for shifting gears... the Kodiak will probably be just fine. For the models I was looking at... both ran around 6K... but Honda had 7.9%/60 month financing which the Yam dealer couldn't offer me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I own a 2002 Polaris 500 Magnum 4x4 and it has suited my needs great with power to spare,I have drug 40' long oak logs in for firewood,pulled mt 16' trailer with a car on it around the yard,towed cars and trucks from place to place on the farm.Then hit the back roads and run 70 mph just having fun,It has high/low and reverse and push button AWD.I rolled it 6 times end over end at 60 MPH and only had to unbolt the fiber rack and move the mounts back in place then bolt the fiber rack on and it was good to go,I know that when Polaris first came out they had a bad name for their engines blowing quickly but that was also with their 2 strokes,so far with over 5000 miles logged onto my Polaris and lots of trial rides through the Kentucky mountains and following and helping guide the Jeep Jamboree the last 2 years,It has yet to let me down or to leave me swimming out of these massive mudholes,I also use it alot on the farm pulling an 8' truck bed trailer loaded with 4" wooden fence post around while fencing my pasture.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:29 PM

Excuse me for being a weeeeeeeee bit bias but I'm gonna tell you HONDA 450!
R.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 11:10 PM
pokie

We have a polaris 500 4x4 that does a great job but kind of pricy at 7000 or so, but if you dont need the 4x4 and your not a really big dude, we also have our little honda Recon 250 that does a fine job of crawling all over our little Ponderosa and at about 3400.00 bucks it will hardly even put a rinkle in your shorts.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Most people around here have a yamaha of some kind, but on our farm we use a Polaris Xplorer 400. It's a '96 model and we've put over 10,000 miles on it doing anything from joy riding/fencing/driving cattle/pulling trailers/hunting. It has served us pretty well as long as we kept a spare spark plug with it. Just recently though, the engine aparently blew, but the guy that was rebuilding it said the cylinder looked like it was brand new, just some piston slack or something caused something to break. When we got it in '96, it was cheaper than most other models, and definately rode smoother and had more features, but now I think Polaris has some pretty high prices but maybe we just have less money or something. Anyway, good luck choosing, hope I gave you some more insight.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 08:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello,
If your looking for an affordable quad, but would like 4x4, in my opinion your best bet would be the 300 to 400 cc range. The last econo-quad shoot-out I read about put the Suzuki Eiger 400 and the Honda Rancher 350 as there top picks. They did say they liked a couple of small features that the Eiger had over the Rancher but that was about it. Out of the two the Eiger pulled there weight a little faster but it has a 371cc engine where the Ranchers is only 329cc. Anyway I have to go with the "Iceman" from Canada and say my pick would be the Honda. Of course I have a Rancher ES 4x4 and it has yet to let me down.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 03:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I ride a 2003 Yamaha Wolverine. It has plenty of jiuce to take you almost anywhere and is small and nimble enough to actually go almost anywhere.

In fact, I went riding yesterday with a buddy and we traversed a trail meant for motorcycles, through the trees on a decent slope. Anything large would never have made it simply because of size.

I've taken my machine on just about every kind of terrain...sand dunes, mud well past the axles, steep loose dirt climbs, water, railraod tracks (which are surprisingly difficult) and gravel. Never a problem. Of course I will eventually get stuck on or in something, but for some fairly aggressive terrain my Wolverine has performed very nicely. No complaints...except I don't get to ride as often as I would like.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 09:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

arctic cat 400 or 500. dependability\performance\value
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode