Choices for picking out a ATV - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 10:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Choices for picking out a ATV

Need some help in picking out a new ATV. I want a reliable and strong atv that is 4WD. I am going to play in snow, tow people on the snow and also use it for Search & Rescue. I have been looking at the Yamaha Kodiak 4x4 Automatic, versus the Artic Cat 400 4x4 Automatic and other suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 01:29 PM

Re: Choices for picking out a ATV

Other choices: Probaly the Honda Foreman 450.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 06:19 PM

I agree with 450 (of corse).
The Kodiak I ride with does just as well in the snow but after the snow gets deep all quads get stuck if not on the trail.
I run stock tires & throw a set of chains on for winter. Super agressive tires seem to be a pain in the snow while mudbugs seem to do real good.
Have not seen much to talk about with Arctic cat in the winter, most folks here put them away for winter.
My 450 goes year round.
R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 06:24 PM
FordDiesel

Just to add to the list I recently bought a Suzuki Eiger. It's a 400 automatic with a selectable 4x4, hi and low gear with reverse. It also has a Warn winch. I was real suprised at how capable these mid sized wheelers are. Plenty of power for anything I'll ever need it for. Plenty quick on the road. I believe that all the manufactures have been building these things long enough to know what their doing. They are all pretty reliable and plenty strong. For me it just came down to a couple features and the looks.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I really like my ForemanES. My second choice was the Kodiak. I like the Honda transmission... no belts to worry about.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 07:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check out the Ricon. I think it is the best all around ATV.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 03:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The yamaha grizzly is my first choice,but you could try yamaha kodiak or the suzuki vinson.both are great quads at a descent price.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would choose in this order:
1. Honda 450 or 400
2. Yamaha Kodiak
3. Suzuki Eiger
4. Bombardier Traxter
5. Tie: Artic Cat 400 or 500 and Polaris Sportsman

I hope this helps. Each has their strong points and their weak points.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have ridden alot of 4x4 Atv's and I came to the conclusion that the Honda Rancher ES 4x4 was for me. I love it because it is light and nimble and smooth and will go just about anywhere. My last ATV was a 2000 Polaris 500 which is a smooth nice machine, but you will play hell once you get a beast like that stuck. I will never own a big heavy atv again.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am new to this forum and i can see that I am a rare breed here. an arctic cat fan. they make an excellent machine. not only are they number one in low maintainance but they are also number one in "consumer reports" customer satisfaction(even passing old honda). id say the arctic cat 400 with the new for 03 duamatic transmission would be your best choice. i have two acrtic atvs and they have treated me very well. and altough honda is legendary AC is right up to there level maybe even beyond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode