grizzly 660 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 04:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

grizzly 660

Does anyone know anything about the grizzly. I wrote in before about getting a utility ztv and I like the grizzly. But I'm sceptic about teh automatic transmission. I really prefer a manual. Any information would be appreciated. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 12:44 PM
box

Re: grizzly 660

in my opinion, the automatic transmission is much better than the manual. It is just as reliable as the manual and gives you more versatility. The belts nowdays hardly ever break unless they are really really abused, and if you really abuse a manual transmission you can break it too. A belt is probably better in that respect because with a grizzly, all you will possibly break is the belt, but on an automatic you can strip the gears and burn out the clutches and so on... A belt is about $25-$30, compare that to the cost of a manual transmission.
About the power, all these new big bore ATVs have massive power. I have a Polaris Sp.500 (which i highly recommend) and I have used it to free stuck trucks and tow enormous loads. Both the Yamaha Grizzly and Polaris Sportsman are exceptional machines, but i would have to recommend the Polaris Sportsman 600 or 700 over the Yamaha Grizzly. The Polaris Sportsman 600 has a v-twin engine, which is much smoother than a single cylinder engine. Also the Polaris comes with Goodyear Rawhide tires from the factory, which is a major advantage over the cheaper tires that come on most other 4 wheelers. The Goodyear Rawhides are serious mudding tires and great all around. Also Polaris has a lifetime belt warranty on their machines.
One advantage of the Yamaha Grizzly is that it has 3 4x4 modes: off, limited slip front, and fully locked front.
The Polaris Sportsman does have selectable 4x4 and it is fully locked front and rear.
I believe the Polarises do better in water than the yamahas.
Any more questions just post them here!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What's the relative cast of the sportsman compared to the grizzy? Are they about the same? I'm still sceptacable about the automatic. I plan on getting alot of accessories for which everone I get. But I guess i should worry about that after i get it huh? What about speed. How close are the on speed? I don't need a real fast machine I got 2 sportquads. Thanks ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 06:39 PM

why don`t you go check out the new honda rincon 650 that is coming out very soon, it has a automantic transmission but it doesn`t have belts to burn out, it has a gear driven trans which in many test has proven itself to be a tough relible bike with no major problem know of yet,after its a honda of couse it will never have any major problems. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 05:12 PM
box

the belt drive automatics are as reliable as they can be. i dont know about the grizzly, but about the only way you could break a polaris belt is to rip it out of the machine and take a cutting torch to it. they are very very tough. As far as speed the polaris registers 60 and you can tune it to go faster than that. I dont race them so i dont know about which will beat the other but i know that the polaris is FAST and powerful.
The belt drive is also better because you can tune it. There are all kinds of clutch kits and different clutch springs that you can install to modify it to behave however you want. you can't do that with a non-belt machine. And if you get a polaris, dont worry about the belt breaking. you can smoke it if you try really really hard and act stupid, but they just dont break nowdays.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:40 AM

Hondas_rule,

You need to be aware of a problem with the new Honda Rincon tranny. Virtually NO engine braking. If you ride in steep technical terrain you won't be happy with this tranny.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

u no, both transmissions have their advantages and disadvantages. During a wet ans slimy situation, your belt might slip. But the automatic transmission will help you by just staying in low gear. You can focus on getting through and not shifting. THe manual transmissions are more fun to drive, I think, but you have to really know what gear you want so that you can give it that power to pull out but not too much so that your tires slip. Either one is good. The new honda, i think its called the rubicon, has a new trans. which is like an automatic in your car. it doesn't have just low and high, but it shifts the gears for you. I would prefer that one.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 12:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am quite happy with the Grizzly 660 I recently bought. Yamaha has done it's work on the Griz. The suspension is very good and the machine stays flat even when traversing deep ditches diagonally. The engine has a whole lot of torque and plows snow with little effort. I also have pulled 15' logs out of the woods without any issues.

I have ridden ATVs with both autos and manual trannies and they are just different. Manuals engage quickly and give the feeling of more power because of this. Autos engage smoothly as the engine rises above idle and makes tight technical maneuvering easier.

I have owned Yamahas since 1982 and one thing I can say for sure is that they are as reliable as they come. With regular scheduled maintenance they will last easily for 20 years. I have a 16 year old TT350 in the garage that has needed nothing more than a few O-rings and gaskets.

in my opinion the reliability, independant suspension, differential lock, and workability make it unbeatable.

Note that the Grizz seems to have a restrictive exhaust and air intake. I am sure that with proper jetting and a few easy mods the Grizz could gain 10 hp. Does anyone know of less restrictive exhaust tips or simple mods used to make them breathe a little easier. Jetting tips for around 6000 feet would also be helpful.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 02:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a Magnum 500 4x4 which is basically just a small step down of the sportsman which includes single monoshock rear suspension,and slightly smaller carburator.As for the rest it is the same liquid cooled 499cc powerplant with the variable automatic tranny belt driven.And when you throw the fuel to it,lean forward cause the front wheels will ride high for a bit,I've hit a topspeed of 70 MPH and in low gear idling down steep hills or mountain sides you do not have to use the brakes at all it will crawl,I ride with a friend who has a King Quad and he is always stopping to put his in and out of Dif.lock and 4 wheel,Even stopping at the top of the real steep drops and shifting into superlow,I just slap mine into low and let him go first while i set back and just bump the throttle so i can keep him in sight,there is now free wheeling in the Polaris tranny set up,Although I will be handing the 500 over to the wife shortly as I am getting the 700 sportman which is one bad machine.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 04:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well I have road the 700 sportsman and I liked it.the engine braking is great. when hunting in washington mountains I climed up a very steep hill without thinking about how I was going to get down there was 6" of snow on the ground good thing for low range the atv crawled down the hill without slipping around!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode