Plow Time! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Plow Time!

Just wanted to let you all know winter has hit with a bang!

Been snowing for a few days now & the dumping we're getting now will keep my 450 busy for a couple days at least.
Washed all the mud off tonite(once a year bath), changed oil to 5w30, clean/inspect brakes, install hotter plug, make sure engine heater works, put the windshield & chains back on & we're ready for winter [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Gonna let it sit in the shop at work to dry good overnite(no heat in my garage) & tommorrow we plow!
R.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 12:00 AM
FordDiesel

Re: Plow Time!

Ya know, when I was first told that folks put plows on the front of wheelers I thought they were yanking my chain. Then one day I saw a guy with one. It just aint every day you see a snow plow in Texas [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

I can understand there wouldn't be much snow to plow way down there, but mine gets a good workout thru the summer pushing dirt & gravel around too!
Up here about 90% of ATV's are 4x4 Utility & 50% of those have a plow to go with them.
I rather enjoy only 2hrs to plow my drive instead of the 4 days it used to take with a shovel [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 03:13 PM
FordDiesel

I like the dirt/gravel idea, I could sure use one for that! Hmmm, I may have to look into getting one. I can just see they parts guys face when I tell him I want a snow plow! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:04 PM

Are the plows on an ATV really strong enough to move much dirt around? Seems like SNOW would about be the limit.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

While ATV plows aren't quite like running a D-9 Cat , they are strong enough to to handle moderate amounts of gravel, dirt or sand.
I have made a few modifications to mine to help it perform more to my liking, the big thing being chains to restrict the forward flipping of the blade with heavy material. Also a nice piece of railroad rail that hooks on to the blade when more weight is needed to cut into packed material.
A winch works better for lifting the plow when working soil & such because you can set the blade height where ever you want it for spreading topsoil on a lawn or gravel down a driveway.
R.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 05:56 AM
tony1034

My neighbor has a 660 Grizzly with a plow and winch. The thing is like a tank. I watched him pushed dirt around this summer like he was driving a bobcat.
Tony P.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 01:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am getting my Grandpa plow with winch for Christmas. His 4wheeler is a Polaris Sportsman 500 4x4. The winch I had in mind was the Warn 2500, is that too big/too small. He is going to use the plow for snow/dirt/gravel. I am looking at a Moose/Warn setup from Dennis Kirk or a complete Warn setup from www.RCSOffroad.com Please advise me on which is better or pros and cons of each. Also if anyone has a plow please let me know what you have and how you like it.

Colby
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 05:19 AM
tony1034

My neighbor has a new Polaris Sportsman 500 4x4. He loves it and the suspension. However, I thought I remember him saying that it was not good for plowing. I'll ask him again this afternoon when I get home and post.

My other two neighbors both bought Yamaha Kodiak 400s. They both have a plow and winch setup. They were pushing snow a few weeks ago when we got hit with 8-10 inches. They plowed through the thick, wet snow easily. They did have some issues with the winches. One of them had a problem with the cable fraying and the other had a cable/hook problem. I'll find out what their setup is too.

Tony P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode