Small Cargo Trailer / Pickup Bed??? - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Trailers, RV's and Camping Recreational Vehicles and general camping tips. Build it, buy it, cast-iron cook it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 09:40 AM
MNT
Addict

Re: Small Cargo Trailer / Pickup Bed???

I am sort of looking for a totaled wrangler that I can cut the back half off and make into a trialer. It would look good, match the actual jeep. and still be pretty cheap.

Might be too small for your needs though.

good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 10:36 AM
Mud in my Veins

Postaljeepster did that last year with an old Commando tub. I think the plan is to use air over hydraulic to steer the Toy front axle and a modifed DC motor to drive it (via remote if stuck). Keep in mind he's running a stroked SBC thru Dodge drivelines and 3/4ton axles...not something you'd want to pull with a stock SWB Jeep.

I think it turned out killer!

post #13 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Can't Get Enough

If you build one, keep it light. Use thin wall tubing for everything. Unless you plan on wheeling with it. A friend enclosed a snowmobile trailer for his motorcycles. It is waterproof so he can store the riding gear and other clothing in it. He used some, I believe 12 or 14 ga. 1" square tubing for the frame. He covered it with aluminum sheeting about 20 ga. The most expensive part was the aluminum. He did do a structural design on the frame to make sure it would work. All in all, the tilt bed snowmobile trailer probably gained about 350#'s in the process. Not bad for an eight x ten room with a six foot ceiling. He built it 6 years ago, and that trailer has seen a lot of use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2003 View Post
My latest idea would be to find the back of a pickup truck at our local juckyard and have them cut it up and convert the bed to a trailer. I could then put one of the locking covers or caps on to it and be all set. Still the capacity will be small ~30-40 ft3 but at least it would be fitting to be pulled behind a Wrangler.

Any suggestions and or plans for this type of setup. More importantly what might this cost me.

Thanks.
I was think along similar lines, but thought the rear of a minivan would be more fitting.... consideratbly smaller unles you were looking at the back of a Ranger or Subaru Brat or Baja, bu by cutting the rear compartment from a Caravan or something similar, and welding on a hitch and inclosing the front, the rear hatch would still be functional and lockable, while at least looking interesting... although I was also looking at something called a mod pod that came in 8' and 10' models.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:45 AM

Caravan Trailer

The reason for my thinking about the caravan trailer, was that I was considering a GTRV, minivan RV conversion out af a Dodge Grand Caravan.
The Caravan RV will be very small (although I can learn to live with it, while getting over 25 mpg while travel) being over 6' tall, I want a bed running length wise from the front seat to the back door.
The trailer would be used for a generator, propane and water tanks as well as camping and prospecting gear.
I thought pulling something that looked like an extension of the RV would be fitting.... (as well as unusual)
I saw one that someone had done using an Astro van, to be pulled with his Astro van and thought it looked great. I know the Astro van trailer had to be heavy, and thought with powertrain and front of an caravan removed, a Caravan trailer would be very light.
post #16 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Novice

Small cargos are available in different configurations. Small-size models are best suited for transporting small vehicles like ATVs or cars. Cargo trailer’s low sides avoid your car from getting damaged or scratched badly and let you for easy unloading and loading over the sides.Fully enclosed small cargo trailers are really worthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode