Blown Head Gasket? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Toyota SUV's & Trucks Discussion of Toyota Pickup Trucks and 4-Runner SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Blown Head Gasket?

Gnarls, this one's just for you; I think I've got a blown head gasket.
If so, I'm gonna have to consider retiring this little guy.

So, on to the symptoms.
Past few months or so, getting the whooshing behind the firewall on cold mornings. The coolant was a little low at one point during this time; heat slow, etc., but was fine after that.

On occasion, I'd smell a little of the sweet stuff, and check under the cap and see a little of the white stuff. This happened during extreme temperature changes with the weather and infrequent driving. I chalked it up to condensation, since it went away almost immediate with no apparent coolant loss.

Tonight on my way out of the bike shop I noticed a little puddle under the truck. it. Stopped off at the grocery on the way home, gave it a break. Popped the hood and I could see that it seemed to be coming from the water pipe under the intake. More puddle when I came out; worse now. Limped it home, heat on full blast, and the temp gauge kept creeping up. Air finally went cold; system empty.

When I got home, I popped the hood and checked it out better with a flashlight and mirror. The hose section of the water pipe under the intake was swollen and hissing. I removed the cap and steam shot out. My truck looked like a locomotive. In fact, four masked bandits galloped up the driveway and tried to hold me up.

My hope -- thermostat.
I know better, though, having been through a couple of these before. I'm pretty sure it's the head gasket, or a cracked head. Never saw any water in the oil though on this one. I'm not familiar enough with the cooling system to know what flows where, but I'm thinking there's a combustion leak somewhere, and that it pressurized the system. Now that I think about it, I noticed a drip on the lower radiator hose a few weeks ago, as well. Related most likely.

Considering the poor fuel economy for what little power it's got, the bed rust, dents and crummy paint, rough ride, etc., etc., I'm thinking it might be time to go the way of the Rembrant, and get something newer. Hate to say it, especially considering all the work I've put into it and pleasure I've gotten from all the little fixing up stuff, but where do you draw the line? Hardly seems worth it anymore.

Let me know what you guys think about the situation.
If I end up getting something newer, I'll probably part this thing out a bit. Got some SR5 wheels (powdercoated 3-4 yrs. ago), gauge cluster, seats, Weber, 4.56's F/R, etc.

msg - '87 xtracab - underexposed
flickr.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:09 PM

Oh come on you hooligan!!! Throw a new gasket in there and come see me, gas just hit 3.99 here today!!!! But it's really good gas!!!

Jerod

"Hiking is just walking where it's ok to pee.....
Sometimes old people hike on accident....."

89 4Runner "The James Caird" Yeah, I named it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Any white smoke from the exhaust?

Did you do a compression test yet?

Wipe your finger on the exhaust pipe...Same sweet smell?

Just a T-stat won't make the hose bulge....Has to be something else.

Sorry about the bad luck, I certainly know how that feels. Good luck!

I will be a vulture, I got dibs on the Cluster!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 PM

you can fill it with water. start it shut it off. pull the plugs and turn it over. and see if water shoots out..

compression check..

just a head gasket and nothing else is 18 bucks.
head check 50 to 100..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

gonna run out this morning for a more thorough inspection.
just rattled off an email to Ted at Engnbldr to see about a head and one piece Weber adapter for the 32/36.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenToyotaFan View Post
Oh come on you hooligan!!! Throw a new gasket in there and come see me, gas just hit 3.99 here today!!!! But it's really good gas!!!
Haha, hooligan... good stuff Jerod. holy schnikees man, $4 a gallon? GW scoffed at a reporter 4 weeks ago when he asked the President what he thought of speculation of hitting $4 a gallon before the holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunner88 View Post
Any white smoke from the exhaust?
Did you do a compression test yet?
Wipe your finger on the exhaust pipe...Same sweet smell?
Just a T-stat won't make the hose bulge....Has to be something else.
Sorry about the bad luck, I certainly know how that feels. Good luck!
I will be a vulture, I got dibs on the Cluster!
Nah, Kev, no white smoke, and no compression or leakdown test yet. I usually don't bother. At this point, really, what else could it be, haha, I mean, I was in denial last night, but I've accepted it this morning. If I end up parting it out, you're on the list for the gauge cluster. Just tell me what mileage you want, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouriman View Post
you can fill it with water. start it shut it off. pull the plugs and turn it over. and see if water shoots out..
compression check..
just a head gasket and nothing else is 18 bucks.
head check 50 to 100..
Thanks M&M; I'll give that a shot today to see what's up.
My real compression gauge schraeder valve doesn't lock the air anymore for some reason. I would like to get some numbers for general engine health before I go dumping any money into this. I have noticed a little oil sputter outside my front breather. Hope I'm not getting a lot of blow-by. that'll make my decision for me.

flickr.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Yodta,

Good to hear from you again, but not good to hear about this...

Bummer!... but that's part of the 22R life, huh. It sounds like a head gasket leak, and probably a crack at number 3 water port, leaking coolant into the chamber. I'm a little surprised. Isn't this head one you bought from the "Toyota guru" Mr. Tim at DOA, not too long ago? Was the head a rebuilt or new? Premature HG failure is usually caused by something that will require a little more "fixing" than just replacing the head gasket. As far as "retiring" the ol' gal, the cost of rebuilding the head and R&R the head gasket isn't too bad. If you want to pass her on to new owner, and get a new one for yourself, I'd fix it and then sell her. Parting her out would be "cruel and unusual punishment". Let us know what Ted says and what you decide.

PS. If you do leak down test, it will probably show you which cylinder(s) is leaking, but you will most likely see it when you pull the head.

gNARLS

Last edited by Gnarly4X; 04-18-2008 at 10:14 AM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hey GeeNarls,
nah, this head was part of the Jasper longblock I installed about four or five years ago. I had the head bolts out when I did the comp cams install about three or four years ago. surprised it lasted this long to be honest.

new development. maybe.
I just ran out and did a compression test -- all good numbers -- about 180psi across the board on 3 cycles, 205psi at 5 cycles. I think I remembered reading in the instructions that you're not supposed to do it more than 3 for a read. anyway, compression looks good, so bottom end is probably healthy as far as rings go, yeah?

the other thing...
absolutely no trace of water in the cylinders. plugs are a nice chocolatey brown on one side of the insulator, with the #1 electrode showing slight blistering, probably from the pinging I've been experiencing lately from my regular/midgrade experiments. or could also be from the hot running last night.

anyway, that was encouraging.
upon closer inspection, I noticed that that swollen hose under the manifold actually has a hole in it. given the other observations, I'm wondering if maybe I was a little premature in my head gasket assumption here, and maybe I've just experienced the effects of losing coolant. the locomotive effect could just have been from steam in the system. last time I had a head gasket issue with combustion gases leaking into the cooling system, it blew my upper radiator hose wide open on the freeway. it was nasty. sounded like a giant inner tube let loose.

I'm gonna try to replace the hose and go from there.

talk to me about a leak down test.
how's this work?

Ted got back to me this morning. says he's pretty much retired now, but that his son Tod can definitely help me out.

flickr.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

well fellows,
looks as though I had nothing more than a coolant leak.
just replaced the hose, filled with water, took it for a good run.
seems steady at around 185°-195° to my best estimate on my aftermarket gauge.

gonna cruise around a bit like this for a while, probably replace the water with fresh coolant in the AM. think I'm good, though.

thanks for the ideas, and I'll report back.
hopefully the hose is all it was.

flickr.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You Bum! Ever heard of preventive maintenance? Your probably running the same radiator hoses and water pump belt from when I saw you back a few years before I moved!

You must have over-torqued your hose clamp and put a hole in it

Glad everything is OK...Does this mean I don't get the cluster?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 06:32 PM

when something happens, and we don't have time to look into it the worse case comes to mind. most times it is not all that bad.
glad for you that it was something simple.

as for blow by.. get some balloons. pull the vac hose off the top of the valve cover, shove a balloon on there, if it blows up pretty quick you have broken rings. if it blows up real slow that is normal... oh.. at operating temp.

if the balloon blows up. blows off and there is a pulsing of smoke and pressure.. ummm you are screwed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode