Good source for used tools? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Tools and Fabrication Forum for discussing the latest tools or fabrication methods for the Off-Road vehicle owner.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Good source for used tools?

I am trying to put a few more toys in my garage and I am finding this stuff is expensive! Anyone who has ever looked at bying a tube bender or a welder will tell you the same unless their pockets are really deep.

I don't need the top of the line stuff, but I don't want to go "harbor freight" cheep ither (although a friend of mine has their $500 plasma cutter and it works great). I am not trying to start a fab shop, but if I have to buy all this stuff new I will have to to help me pay for it!

So my question is: Is there a relatively reliable place to look to buy used tools? Plasma cutter, welder, tube bender, you know the stuff guys like us need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 10:20 AM

Re: Good source for used tools?

I usually try to buy smart. most of the time it is worth it to spend the money if it is going to work well for what you are doing.

I have a small 110 welder it works great up to 1/8 then I have a ready welder it works from .080 up to 1 inch ( properly preped) it is also totally portable using 2 12 volt batterys so it will work in the shop or any where you can take 2 batterys.

I have a harbor freight grinder that sees wire wheel duty but I have a good one for grinding and cutting.

I often try to build tools I saw one setup (tube bender) all was home made except the cylender and the die.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1473136-bender1.JPG (25.8 KB, 8 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

I know what you mean, you have to buy smart. It's easy to go overkill and spend a lot of money you don't really need to.

I like the idea of making my own bender, but like you said you still have to buy some of the parts (die and so on) so in the end the piece you make for yourself only ends up saving you like $200 or so, after time and materials that about breaks even.

Guess I'll just keep watching ebay, i'm in no hurry anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 02:12 PM

If we were in Idaho, I know of a couple of places, but here I have not seen anything...

as for Harbor Freight, I have seen what they sell, then I go on the internet and do a google search for that tool, model, brand, and search for people who have had issues with it.

something usually pops up... it is funny, people don't go on the internet to put info about how happy they are, just to put info on how upset they are....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

You know that is so true, I try to post about stuff/people that have made me happy/done me right, but I ALWAYS post about it when someone or some thing pisses me off.

The only reason I spoke well of the Plasma cutter is because a friend of mine has it and I have used it plenty, works well enough for what we do, but I bet if any of us had ever used one of the $1000 - $2000 ones it would pale in comparison. It is the only one I have seen anywhere that is under $1000. HF's is $500 and like I said does fine for what we do.

If I find a good place to get used tools I will post it here so all can reap the benies.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 08:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Occasionally, you can find some good stuff at a pawn shop. Note the word "occasionally".

People who get rid of their "stuff" at a pawn shop are usually not thinking about getting the most money for their "stuff" -- they are looking for cash fast. Unfortunately, these same people do not take care of their possessions, either.

Something to think about...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You might start checking your local papares for area auctions as well. You can find some pretty decent deals there as well.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 06:40 AM

That is true, they do have alot of auctions here.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Auctions, that sounds like a good idea, I have read about some estate sales where they have stuff that may be usefull to someone in our sport. Do they do those things this time of year? I will check the paper tonight and see.

Thanks for the idea,
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

I have been searching online and looking at plans to build a bender. None of the ones I have seen are as nice as the one in your post above. Do you know where to find the specs on it? Or plans on how to go about building it?
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode