rear shocks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Tire Tips, What Works Best One of the most-talked-about subjects on our Boards; applies to all makes and models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Novice

rear shocks

I can't find any shocks that are stranded OME for the escape except out of Taiwan.
The shock extended 25.03 and compressed 14.8. Do i need to find an exact match or can I use a shocK that is, say
23.750 and 14.750 or 25.750 and 15.750
Thanks

sorry wrong section

Last edited by PhilVV; 10-11-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Addict

more important than finding a shock that matches your shock is finding one that fits your suspension. if your escape is stock, then most auto parts stores should be able to look up what you need. if not, remove the shocks and jack it up by the frame. keep an eye on the brake lines and anything else that might be attached to the axle. measure the expanded length of your shocks. now set your ride back down and measure "static" or "ride" height. lastly, figure the compressed length. this will be the most important length as you don't want to use your shocks as a bump stop. they will fail. it is however ok to use them as a lower limiter (droop stop)

you might try these guys
Tonneau Covers, Lift Kits, Winches, Leveling Kits, Tires, Wheels & Tonneau Cover Parts by 4 Wheel Parts
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Novice

Hey thanks alot for the feedback. I will do what you suggest and try the site as well. Toy's are so much easier!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Addict

not a problem, glad to help. I know what you mean about fords. always needing to buy (rent, borrow) some "special tool" to do an otherwise simple job. I've all but given up on american made. don't know if it has anything to do with the auto unions, but i'm suspicious. chryslers seem to have week auto trans. haven't been happy with my chev work truck. in theory i'd like to buy made in usa, but the foriegn made just seem to be made better.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Novice

Oh no don't get me wrong. i love the American cars just not being able to find after market parts for the Escape even though it's been one of the top selling SUV's since 2001..
I went to Carl Jantz and he will be putting Rancho RS 9000 with the different stiffness settings.
Do you know of any open trails that have cool scenery and would rate as beginner /moderate level trails. I have a huge surgery coming out and want to do a long run before i get under the knife rather then Tahuya
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Addict

what part wa are you in? not a lot that i know of. any of the logging roads will be beautiful as the leaves change. my favorite trail, near larch mountain, has had the gate closed for 2 years now. a lot of guys run down to the tillamook forest. went on a run there a long time ago ranged from easy to OMG scarry.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Novice

So Jantz 4X4 is putting Rancho RS 9000 on the rear to get a more stable ride.
Next year I'll cut the wheel wells and add the 33"s with the camber arm extension.
Do you know any open trails that are fairly moderate and take a good half day to full day to complete?
PM or continue on this thread that would be great.
Thanks,
Phil
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Addict

i looked up jantz4x4. you must be in poulsbo area. nothing that i know of would be worth the drive except possibly tillamook forest, but i haven't been in a long time
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Novice

Oh yeah, Poulsbo. My brother and I are planning on doing this little run. This winter to make it more interesting.
Olympic Peninsula Backroad Adventures | Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures

We are currently looking for a place in Hoodsport where a plane went down. i'll keep you posted. i'll be laid up for awhile due to a surgery on the 2nd of Nov. but plan to back ASAP.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Addict

yep, a little snow makes things interesting. a little more, really tough. I'm sure you know but a reminder... be prepared for the unexpected overnight stay, etc. let others know exactly where you are planing to go etc. seems like every year somebody gets into a lot of trouble or dies due to failure to plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode