Yokohama Geolander M/T opinions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Tire Tips, What Works Best One of the most-talked-about subjects on our Boards; applies to all makes and models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Question Yokohama Geolander M/T opinions

Hey, just wanted to get some input on the Yokohama Geolander Mud Terrains, are they a good tire for the street? do they emit a lot of noise?, what tire would you recommend for a primarily street oriented vehicle?. Currently, I am using Toyo Open Country A/T and they are great!!. By the way the vehicle is a stock 2 wheel drive S10 Blazer....a 3" lift may be added soon and 30" tires will follow!!!. Thanks in advance. Late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowns10 View Post
Hey, just wanted to get some input on the Yokohama Geolander Mud Terrains, are they a good tire for the street? do they emit a lot of noise?, what tire would you recommend for a primarily street oriented vehicle?. Currently, I am using Toyo Open Country A/T and they are great!!. By the way the vehicle is a stock 2 wheel drive S10 Blazer....a 3" lift may be added soon and 30" tires will follow!!!. Thanks in advance. Late.
I had a set HT series on my Toyota Tundra, great tires!! The truck was my daily driver and it didn't get "off-road", even though it was a 4x4. The MTs are obviously way more aggressive tread. The mud tread, at least in my experience, will start to cup after 7K to 10K miles. I've tried a dozen different brands over the years. The Yokohamas are an excellent choice. Unless you are in a climate where you really need the mud treads, I'd go with a less aggressive tire. The one good thing about the mud design is that it makes your truck look "bad". The BFG A/Ts were probably the best all-around tire I ran on my truck. If you go with muds, I would highly recommend you rotate and cross, and rebalance the tires every 5K to 7K miles. This will help reduce the bad effects of the cupping, which mostly occurs in the front tires.

The muds are usually always more noisy on the highway, and I can't get the same mileage as I do with the A/T tread.

That's just my worthless opinion.

gNARLS

Last edited by Gnarly4X; 09-20-2009 at 08:19 AM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thumbs up Yokohama tires

Yo man, thanks for the info. Yeah, the "bad" look is what I wanted to go after, primarily because my rig is a two wheel drive, I wanna make it look as tough as possible!!!.....I don't know, I mean I like the Toyo A/T they are awesome, maybe I'll keep them if I do lift my rig...just go to a bigger size. Thanks for the BFG tip, I hear they are pretty much the best A/T tire to use if the rig will be primarily driven on the street (mine is-90% street 10% off road if I'm lucky). Well cupping primarily occurs when the tire (any) is not balanced and therefore bounces as you drive which causes flat spots and as you know it it's called cupping, but thanks I appreciate the input!!. Late
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowns10 View Post
...Well cupping primarily occurs when the tire (any) is not balanced and therefore bounces as you drive which causes flat spots and as you know it it's called cupping, but thanks I appreciate the input!!. Late
Well, yes out balance condition can cause cupping, but in my experience, the cupping on my tires was NOT caused by out balance, or bad shocks, or anything to do with the front suspension. I think the cupping was just caused by the large tread lugs and "tread squirm".... and every mud tire I've run cupped on the front at some point. I'm anal about tire balance, alignment and vibrations, so I'm sure out of balance was not the cause.

That's just my worthless opinion.

gNARLS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode