Lets talk tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Tire Tips, What Works Best One of the most-talked-about subjects on our Boards; applies to all makes and models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Lets talk tires

so i just got the 6.5 gears in my transfer case everything else is stock (spoa shackles) how bad are 33s on the axles Im not gonna be getting real crazy right now not alot of big rocks what are the best of the lower priced off road tires in a 32 or 33?
this zuk will be almost strictly off road, stock motor for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast

I think it has more to do with how you use the gas pedal. I've seen people with 31's snap axles. Lead foot = broken stuff
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I recommend one tire now...

Pit Bull Rockers.

As for gears, spread the reduction between t-case and r&p, or you risk more breakage, like the t-case output.

Yankee Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Apprentice

Thumbs up

We had great luck with our 31x10.50 TRXUS M/T's. Good all around tyre. We drove it for 6 years on those and never broke anything.

I heard I was getting a sweater for Christmas. Too bad, I was hoping for a moaner or a screamer.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Can't Get Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Tim View Post
I recommend one tire now...

Pit Bull Rockers.

As for gears, spread the reduction between t-case and r&p, or you risk more breakage, like the t-case output.
i honestly dont see how....they run they all over rausch creek and everyone i talk to says they are hards as all hell and you got to beat the crap out of them with pretty much no air pressure in them to get them to flex at all...

i havent been impressed with the pitbull line myself...

the truxus m/ts are a fantastic tire

AOL IM: Freebird01JM ICQ#18103928
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 07:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird01 View Post
i honestly dont see how....they run they all over rausch creek and everyone i talk to says they are hards as all hell and you got to beat the crap out of them with pretty much no air pressure in them to get them to flex at all...
First, its the magician not the wand.

i'll have to show you these tires. Seeing is believeing, and I'm sure you'll find they are different than others may have claimed. As far as hard, quite contrary on the Rockers. While the Maddogs and Growlers have a harder compound as they are mud and street tires, respectively, the Rocker is a crawl tire and the compound is very soft (not as soft as Krawlers, but close). So soft, you can easily twist the lugs with just 2 fingers. They stick like glue on slickrock.

As for hard casings, I run 10 psi usually and can go to 6 psi without too much bulge or loss of height. At 0 psi, the tire will go complete flat with the rim sitting on the casing, on the ground. 0 psi will pop the bead as soon as I roll. While the sidewall is 6-ply and way thicker rubber than Intercos (nearly 2x as thick), they flex VERY well even under the weight of the Sammy (and WAY better than Yankee Bob's Yoko MT's)

Another thing to consider though, is they run larger than stated (which is opposite of most tires). My 33x13.50x15's actually are 33.25 x 13.74. On my 8" rims, they stand 34". A good thing is, they are actually rather affordable (on par with LTB's), and all-american made.

I'll show you at GZ by letting you wheel my rig. I think you'll likey.

Yankee Tim
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Can't Get Enough

im not sayin your wrong or offbase. i am just passing along what ive been hearing. Pitbull is one of the park sponsers so the staff has them on their rigs and a couple of the guys i compete with have them.

the weapon of choice at RC seems to be the Maxxis creepy crawlers or the treppedors...

I'm currently running MT Baja claws in the 33x12.50 flavor and they seem to work pretty good. They tend to like to slide sideways on the natural stuff (cause of the bogger style tread) and i need to cut/sipe them. I probably wouldn't have bought them cause they are friggin expensive but i got them with a vehicle i had bought so i'm running them.

AOL IM: Freebird01JM ICQ#18103928
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Can't Get Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWIMMER217 View Post
We had great luck with our 31x10.50 TRXUS M/T's. Good all around tyre. We drove it for 6 years on those and never broke anything.

Ya what he said... I did alot of tire testing and research and have found that for the weight of the Zuki the Trxus M/T's are not only have super flexy sidewalls, they are also the most affordable, don't growl on the hwy as much as some other m/t's and measure above the majority of the 31 inchers...meaning that the Trxus 31x10.50's measure out xactly 31 whereas MTR's & BF Goodrich A/T's measure 30.5-30.7 and cost quite a bit more.

BTW, I personally found it tooth chattering to run either the Goodyear or the BF Goodrich at 25psi on-road whereas the Trxus is quite comfy at that psi

L8R

billybob_CA
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Apprentice

Toyo Tires are a great weapon of choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode