what are the best tires out there? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Tire Tips, What Works Best One of the most-talked-about subjects on our Boards; applies to all makes and models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

what are the best tires out there?

i know this may lead to heated debates, but my tires are starting to resemble 4 drag slicks, so its time for new ones. i want a set of nice agressive tires, that have decent street manners and rate of wear. which, i think, means an all- terrain type. i would love a set of gnarly mud tires, but getting only 25K out of a set of tires that howl and cost $150 each wont work. having said that, if there exist any mud tires that fit the criteria, that would be great.

so far ive been looking at all these different brands, all these different styles. and it further complicated by the fact that noone seems to sell EVERY tire by any one brand. and parent companies have off-brand tires in the same style for cheaper. but is it the same, or just look like it? its all very confusing. and the guy at the tire store wasnt much of a help.

any ideas?

~Sparky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 03:23 AM

Re: what are the best tires out there?

im not sure what kind of mudd tires your buyin but they dont sell for no 150 bucks where im from. anyway i have nothing but great things to say about the BFG MudTerrains. they are probably one of the best aggressive tread tires for the money, plus they last forever. i got about little over 40,000 on my last set and thats pretty good for that kind of tire. they run they range from about 170-220. i wouldnt recommend the BGF all-terrain or anyother ones for that matter if your gona do any kind of crawlin or muddin. procomp makes a pretty good mudterrain that performs with the BFG. you didnt state whether you were doin just general 4-wheelin or if your into doin pretty hairy stuff
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

well, im sitting in a stock jeep TJ, so 30" tires are about $100 each, with some brands as low as 80. i suppose i should have specified.

as far as terrain, i enjoy rocks and a bit of mud when i cant find rocks, but even so, 90% of my driving is on pavement on the way to work.

cmon folks, give me some ideas!

~Sparky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 10:42 PM

ok heres some prices from 4Wheel Parts. not sure if you got one of them around. anyway they online

procomp muds-117 each
procomp allterrain-100 each
bfg allterrain-114 each
bfg muds- 135 each
nitto terra grappler(allterrain tire)-115ish

these prices are for 30-31 inch tires

these tires would be your best bet. cant see anything else being better than these for your type of driving. they should all last a good 40,000 miles or more

hope this helps
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Can't Get Enough

I've always had good luck with BFG MT's, and like them a lot.
I've got a set of Remington Mud Brutes on my truck now. I'm waiting for them to wear out so I can up the size, but they just keep on going. They have about 50,000 miles on them now.
I'm looking at these for my next set: http://high-tec-retreading.com//Desk...240&tabindex=1
Since my annual mileage has decreased significantly with the gas prices, I thought they might work out for me.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 12:24 AM

I just put a set of Fisk Sport King AT's on the Cherokee. They were $331 mounted and balanced, in the 225/75R-15 size. They have a aggressive tread, but don't howl on the street. Around here in Iowa all I hit is a lot of snow and quite a few mud holes. These tires have never let me down. I'm not sure how they'll be for rock-crawling, but i'm sure if you air them down they'll be alright.

http://www.epinions.com/auto-Tires-A...splay_~reviews
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Old Hand

radial rover at

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...t_owl_1000.jpg

i'm on my third set. the class D tire is best if you can get it. my friend has a jeep, runs class C's. they don't seem to last quite as long. softer compound i guess. he loves them too, which is why he went for a second set even after the short life.

i got like 40 to 50 out of my last set. i changed them because i wheel fairly regularly, and they were a little worn down. if i only planned on street driving, there was another 10 k worth of tread left.

they are a very good on road tire. they do very well in sand, not quite as good in that slippery clay mud. but, i'm sold on them.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 12:10 PM

Honestly,
I think your best option is the BFG All-Terrains. I should get close to 60K out of this set of 30". They do great on the road in all weather conditons, yes, even rain, snow, and snow covered ice. They also do real well in the mud, granted they are not a mud tire, however they do better then any other all-terrain I have used. Rocks, yes, they are awesome. Better then a mud terrain, all teh siping helps grip the rocks better. Like a thousand fingers compared to a hundred fingers of a mud tire. Plus they will do tons better in teh sand then a mud tire. Mud tires look cool, and do excellent in the mud. However you need to consider how much time your actually in mud.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Journeyman

I've always used BF Mudterrians, but for 90% driving on payment I'd go with BF allterrians.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Addict

I too have been happy with the BFG ATs. I'm on my 2nd set on the wife's bronco. While doing a little research on tires for my XJ, I came across the Tire Rack web site and found that alot of people rated the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo with Uni-T AQ II as better then the BFG AT. I don't know anyone who owns a set and they are slightly more money then the BFGs, but they might be worth a try.
http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyCom...eler+A%2FT+Revo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode