sport king tires? opinions please! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Tire Tips, What Works Best One of the most-talked-about subjects on our Boards; applies to all makes and models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

sport king tires? opinions please!

i found some good looking tires at a local tire shop. sport king steel radial all terrains, they had a very nice tread on them which looked more like a mud terrain tire to me. i think the guy at the shop said that they have a 50k tread wear warranty on them. i want to buy them in a 31x10.5x15. my neighbors have these tires on their trucks and they said that they ride really good and were awesome for the price. the guy at the shop said that they were their best selling tire and that they were made by bf goodrich. i was just wondering if anyone has had these tires and any/all opinions are welcome. thanks everybody!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

Re: sport king tires? opinions please!

I had 31 inch Sport Kings on the Jeep the tire lasted me about 35000 to 40000 miles they still had tread on them but it was time for new tires none the less. Plus I wanted something with a heftier side wall. They were quite on the road and had good road manners, they were decent off road but the Mud Kings work better on the trail. I liked them...for the price I agree they were a good tire.
John
[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 09:37 PM
KEG
Apprentice

Sport Kings and Mud Kings are both made by BF Goodrich. The construction and components are mostly the same as BFG ATs and MTs. The only main difference is the Kings are 2 ply sidewall construction, where as the BFGs are 3 ply. The Kings also do not have the rim protecting bead edge that the BFGs have. Both brands of tires are made on the same equipment meaning construction quality is pretty much identical. Another good brand produced by BFG is Chapparel tires which have a very nice AT style tire. The nice thing about any tire produced by BF Goodrich is that it will be a radial, and this makes the road manners of the tire head and shoulders above any bias ply tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 05:32 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
they said that they ride really good and were awesome for the price

[/ QUOTE ]

How much cheaper are thay then BFG A/T's

If the margin is less then a $100.00 savings for all 4 tires, I would strongly consider spending extra for the 3 ply BFG. I see you live in PA and the last time I was out there, I saw a LOT of people popping there sidewalls on the sharp rocks. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]Goodyear OE tires on the Wranglers were the weakest of the bunch. I didn't see any BFG's get replaced.

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the good info. i am on a real tight budget being in college and all, and i need something good that will last me a while and be good for mild off-roading but also handle the highways pretty good, because i'm running route 68 from johnstown to morgantown about every three weeks, so i'm gonna need that road handling. i found the sport kings for $89 per tire for 31x10.5x15. the closest price to that that i've found in a bfg at is 115. hopefully i can find a way to get the money for them, but if i can't i'm gonna have to go with the sport king at's. plus i don't do much rock crawling, so i don't think that the sharp rocks are going to be too big of a problem for me. if i do find rocks to play on they're usually just by or on the trails that we're on anyhow.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 09:12 AM

We were not rock crawling. As a mater of fact, the trail just had there sharp smaller rocks about 7 to 12" and were about 4" high. I couldn't beleive the damage that those smaller rocks were doing.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Can't Get Enough

I have the Sport King A/T's on my Scrambler; been on it since I acquired it almost 2 yrs ago. They came well-used and w/ a large/deep gouge in one of the tire's sidewalls.

However, they have held up very well, seem to have worn very well, performed very well on the road/highway/offroad snow, and that sidewall gouge has never been a problem. (I really thought I would have to replace that tire when I first saw it.)

I am due for a new set of tires before the snow begins this year. I was either going to go w/ Dunlop's Mud Rovers or was thinking about going back to the Sport Kings... if I could find them (my Scrambler came from AZ/CA). I'm glad to see they're still available and in the east. Price-wise - since you're on a tight budget, I think the Dunlops are a little cheaper than the Sport Kings. I do not have any personal experience w/ the Dunlops, but I have received much positive feedback from folks on this BBS and the CJ-8 board on them.

Let me know what you go with... Maybe it'll help me make up my mind. (I really wish they made either or both in a 33x9.50x15 [tall &amp; skinny]). I cannot find a relatively inexpensive, tall and skinny tire w/ aggressive tread.

Godspeed...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

actually, i checked out on the dulop rover's and they were exactly $1 cheaper than the sport kings at every place that i checked. i have heard good things about the dunlops, but the guy who was telling me about the sport kings said that they were a much better tire than the dunlops for the money. plus the dunlop at's had a highway tread on them, and i don't want that at all. i want something that can get me down the highway, but i don't want something that when i pull of the highway can't get out of the 2 inch mud hole i'm in. but i guess it's all in what you want.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 02:19 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

"(I really wish they made either or both in a 33x9.50x15 [tall &amp; skinny]). I cannot find a relatively inexpensive, tall and skinny tire w/ aggressive tread."

BFG, Kelly and I believe Cooper all make 33x9.50's. Swamper TSL is available in 34x9.50, but it's not a radial. Kelly makes several off-brands that should also be available in 33x9.50's. Maybe Cooper too. Try a Google search on 33x9.50R15 tires and see what comes up. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Enthusiast

I have Sport King tires and use them in the sand. I have done a few mountain trails and they have been OK.

I do not think they would be good for rock climbing, however theyh are good for sand and moderate use on mountain trails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode