Tires size, mileage and daily driving... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Tire Tips, What Works Best One of the most-talked-about subjects on our Boards; applies to all makes and models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tires size, mileage and daily driving...

Hi guys...

I know the question of tire size has been running for a while now but here's an uncovered angle (at least I didn't find the answer on the forum).

I just bought a 92 4Runner (my FIRST CAR EVER!!!) and It is great, I am just impressed by the off road capability (and I am just starting), the truck is stock except for the rear coils (perf products 1 inch heavy duty blah blah..) the thing is it has stupid little tires on it (not even 31 inch) I wanna put 31 inch on it at least, after reading every post about tires, I think I'll go for BFG A/T, the thing is should I put 31 or 32... My main problem is mileage I can't afford it to drop 25%, it is already not excellent. So what should I put it 31 or 32 ? It's a daily driver and occasional week-end warrior.. I'll admit (not like those SUV poseurs) that I'd like 32 better for the look but not if it cuts mileage or handling too much. Also, can I fit them on 15x7? or do I have to buy new wheels?

thank you very much guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 10:17 PM

Re: Tires size, mileage and daily driving...

dont know much about 4runners, but if you have a manual, i dont think it would hurt you to bad. and with the rim, just get the correct width, usually manys widths are available for a certain hitgh(spelling) just look at the second number on your tires now. for example
235/75/R15s = 235 tall / 75 wide /R15 is 15 inch rim
and its much easier with standard
33/10.5/R15 = 33 inch tall/10.5 inch wide/R15 is 15 inch rim
i dont know what the measurements are in metric [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] sorry, and whatever tires you want, if your more a daily driver get radials
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 11:06 PM

It depends on your gearing, engine, and transmission. If you have a V6, do whatever you want. If you have a 22R bigger tires are going to turn your runner into a dog.
Go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/other/4_axles.html>http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/other/4_axles.html</a> and check your doorsill for your gearing. With 4.10's I wouldn't go bigger than 31's. If you have a 5-speed and 4.56's than 32's might be bearable. This has been discussed on the Toy BBS several times. You might want to do a search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 08:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

235/75/R15 i believe i have it right but im not 100% sure.
235 is the measurement from rim to rim going around the tire, like streaching a string throught the rubber part (from front to back bead going on the outside of the tire)
75 is the % that is used for side walls 75% of 235 millimiters is side walls
15 is the rim size, in inches, which is wierd, metric and standard on a measurement.

as for reusing your rims, unless your going extra wide or changing offset (you could use spacers) you can reuse your rims, and 15" is a good size.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 11:37 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Drey, your perception of how tires are measured is a bit off, but 94GMC's has a small bit of misinformation too (the first number is the tread width, not the width at the bead, maybe that's what you meant, but it was kinda confusing[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]). Here is how it works. Example is for a 235/75r15.

235 is the tread width in mm. 75 is the aspect ratio, which means that the height of the sidewall is 75% of 235. 15 is the rim size. To figure out how tall the tire is in inches, the formula is ((235*.75*2)/25.4)+15=28.9" tall. 25.4 is the number of mm in an inch, the rest of the formula should be self explanatory.

Or you could do it the easy away and go here - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.4lo.com/4LoCalc.htm>http://www.4lo.com/4LoCalc.htm</a>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 02:13 AM

If you go to 32's you may run into minor rubbing problems front and rear. I would recommend 31x10.5R15 BFG's or Cooper's. You won't lose a whole lot of power, you won't run into fitment problems, and A Runner on 31" MT's will take you anywhere you want to go (within reason). You probably have 30x9.5's on it now or the metric equivalent. Your stock rims should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode