Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a two door yukon right now i'm 15 years old and my dad dont want me having it anymore cause brakes are odd and it tips really easy so i might be gettin a 98 z71 ext cab short bed truck and i want to put 35 inch ssrs on it i want the cheapest possible way to fit them on there so how could that be done and i need to know the heights of these trucks with lifts like this cause i need to fit in a garage with a 7'5" opening thanks and i would love some picturs

one day it will all happen

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Well, a Z71 should tip almost as easily as a Yukon...anyway, you'll probably need a 6" lift to fit 35's. Dont know how high that would put it though.

90K5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Screw the 98 z71, get the absolute nicest 87 pickup or 91 blazer you can find. It'll all be cheaper. I do think the new trucks are nice, but if you plan on 35's at all, get SA. All of this is candid inept opinion too, so dont start a new VS old fight eh?/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Seriously, if you want to lift a 98, go ahead, but from what I know it is very hard to do yourself and the IFS will not hold up to 35's.

Oh yes, if you lift a pickup, it wont help center of gravity either.

Ok then, final, "I think you should find the best 91 blazer you can and lift that for alltogether half the price of the 98 with lift."

I ramble eh?

1978 K20 - 355ci, np208, 700R4, 7" Total Lift

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let's see, if you want good brakes and no tipping, I really don't think 35's and a lift are the answer. And the word cheap doesn't normally apply when your talking about lifting IFS. Of course I guess the cheapest route would be a body lift and a sawzall.
--Davey

[email protected]
95 Chevy 2500 ext. cab and a Big 75 Ford

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you got just a 6" suspension lift, 35s would rub a lot, so you would have to put on a body lift in addition or a larger suspension lift

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
If you want something that brakes well and doesn't tip, buy a sports car. If you intend to drive slowly, sane and not get into situations where you need to maneuver quickly, then go ahead and keep a truck. If you never EVER forget that you're driving a truck, and drive it appropriately you will never have a problem with it.

In my opinion on a stock truck, especially a newer one there is no cheap way to put 35" tires on. On an older truck (solid front axle, with leafs up front) then yes you can get that done relatively inexpensively. You do not incidentally want the cheapest way to do that. The cheapest way is to cut corners and cause safety issues, which is apparently what you're trying to avoid... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

You could always do a ton of fender trimming to fit the 35's. Keep in mind to take it a bit easy on the throttle with those since you're approaching the upper limits of what the IFS and the 10 bolt rear can handle...

You won't fit it in a garage of that height. You could use a sledgehammer to adjust either the roof of the vehicle, or the opening of the garage... Those seem to be your only options if you want to store it inside.

Have your dad build you a barn you can keep your truck in and work on it in, since y'all seem to have considerable amounts of $$$... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

It's my opinion (purely my opinion, not inflammatory or anything) that young people should not be driving trucks, and especially lifted trucks until they have had considerable experience driving other vehicles and working their way up. Or learning how to drive a truck, such as on a farm, etc... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Drivers training is very lax in teaching the operating characteristics of SUVs and trucks, and making a point that they do not handle like cars, nor should be driven as such... Sorry I'll end my rant and my post here... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
tim, your rant is justified...the other day a kid in town driving a 'yota 4x4 with these 38s....he almost caused 3 accidents in a 1 mile stretch of city road....then he stalled his truck out in an intersection.... my take: the guy's an idiot and should learn to drive his ride before he rides on the city drives.

anyway, back to the original question at hand... there's no cheap way to lift an IFS truck. you could remove the front fenders and bed. that should clear with no rubbing.

Shorts <-- its not what you think...and don't ask what it is /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the Yukons and pickups are built on the same platform, with the same drivetrain, etc........so the brakes will be the same between the two (assuming the ones on the Yukon are in proper working order). Also, the pickup probably won't be any better when it comes to tipping over since it's the same as the Yukon, only a little longer......
And finally, as already mentioned, if tipping and brakes are a concerned, you really don't want to lift the truck and put bigger tires on it!!

6.2Blazer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
k my post was bad hehe i'm not really worried bout roll over my dad is crazy hehe and i'm really good driver i do live on farm and drive lots and lift wise when i say cheap i mean like 1000 or less for the lift but i think i'm doing 3" body 3" susp and trimming thanks for help and i still want some pics :) thanks again

one day it will all happen

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey, dont go putting all kids into the not knowing how to drive catagory. There are some of us (but there is not many) that are competent enough to drive trucks with lift and big tires with out rolling them over or causing mayhem.

If it aint broke, keep fixing it till it is.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I agree with High Sierra.....I don't drive my truck like a dumbass...but I can see where you are coming from Sandman, because everyone else seems to drive like one.

90K5

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
I'm just going by personal experience plus logic... Inexperienced drivers, plus a vehicle that is inherently unstable (or at least not as stable as lower vehicles) makes for a dangerous situation. Insurance and police statistics are confirming it. Sure there are a few that drive well right away when thrown into a bigger truck, but the majority don't.

I'm merely 21. Been driving for ~6-7 years. I definitely wish the drivers training course would have included things like skid/spin recovery (like on ice/snow), and taught more driving in harsh weather conditions. It should be mandatory to know and learn such things and have at least minimum amount of practice in such situations before being permitted to drive. All of the skid recovery, braking on slick surfaces, etc that I know, was basically self taught. I would certainly have preferred to have learned that with some guidance.

I'm also relatively new to driving lifted vehicles (got Behemoth in 98, driven it relatively little), and it is a considerable difference. I don't think I'd have wanted to start driving in such a large vehicle right out of drivers training. The other issue with younger people, is their propensity for racing and wanting to go fast, neither of which are fitting for bigger trucks to participate in. I admit that I've had Behemoth up to it's top speed, once. However, that was under relatively controlled conditions where the road as far as the eye (and night vision binoculars) could see was empty. And I'll never do that again. Most people don't realize that it's not safe to drive a truck like that, or try to corner it like a sports car... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

On the other hand, regardless of whether you're the average driver or Mario Andretti, or Earnhardt Jr, you still have room for improvement. I do too. I readily admit and agree I'm nowhere near being the best driver, but I try to work on that every opportunity I get, whether it be working on controlling the back end of the (locked) S truck better or braking on slick surfaces, or even reading road conditions 12-15 seconds ahead so I don't have to maneuver quickly. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i totally agree with tim. im only 20 myself but ive been driving for 6 years so ive got some good experience. i also think that drivers ed is a joke. they dont even teach you to change a flat tire anymore, parallel park, normal things that are mandatory much less extras like defensive driving or avoiding accidents. the facts are that around 75% of teenagers will get in a wreck. i didnt believe it either when i was 16. it happened to me (although not my fault) and just about everyone i know. my 16 yr old sister totalled her car last year. i look back now at how i drove when i was 16 and its a wonder im still here. luckily for me, i have a racing background so my quick reflexes and driving abilities have gotten me out of several accidents i SHOULD have been in, mostly up here in teh city where people leave their brains in the backseat. they all do it and good driving is something you only get with EXPERIENCE. thats the hardest thing for young drivers to understand. and personally i would never give my kid a new, expensive vehicle to drive for several reasons, but i wont go into that. ok, i too will get off my soapbox and stop my rant.

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
well all of my friends got brand new vehicles when they turned 16. i got a 12 year old ranger with 250,000 mil4s and a blown 2,9L V-6. I was a little upset about that, but hey, i had wheels. i ended up doing a crap load of work on it and eventually had a half-ton 302 powered ranger. bumber on the front was an I-beam and the grille was similar to a jeeps with the verticle bars....exctept my bars were reinforced concrete. It wasn;t the p[rettiest truck aro8ndm but i was proud of it, knowing that i made it the way it was. I ended up in an 5 car pile-up becasue of someidiot with no locense. I"m glad i didn;t hve a new truck becasue it would ahve been destroyed. I'm glad i didn;t have a very ytall truck becasue people would have died. as it was 8 people went to the hospital and forensics determined that my truck was likely the casue of 6 of them to be there. not my fault whick is nice, but a sad state of affairs none-the-less. I opened mydoor and got out of the dcab to help others.
Anyways, with that said, it doesn;t matter one bit how good the technology of vehicle is, it does matter significantly how well you drive (experience...etc), the fact of the amtter is that there is always gonna be some punk kid (I'm young, but no punk kid) or some [censored] out there that just usn;t paing attention. Tha laws of physicas are the same as they have been since the dawn of time. if its big and heavy...and moving fast...you simply can not stop or sterr it easily. its that simple. i don;t gicve a damn about your ABS or your speed sensative steering. none of it amtters much. physics is physics....and a ,ot of folks just don;t understand that.
I am currently woprking for a drywall and insulation company. just today some dude in a lil rice burner pulled out in fron of the fully loaded F-750. Thats a hell of a lotof truck i was driving there. it was all i could to to get it slowed down enough and keep it under contrall and not hit that MFer. and i know damn well that he would have been paint if i would have hit him. its just sad that the lives of us and our families are constantly put in jeapordy by others not paying attention.
Yeah, a little bit long winded, but you know what, i think this is a cause that is worth it. don;t buy a truck and make it taller and heavier..don;t make it harder to stop and easier to roll....its just not smart for a young driver. thats the only thing keeping me from a SFA and a lift. i don;t think I'm ready for it yet. I have been driving since i was naught but a wee lad out in the country and i was the first person in the history of our town to get every question on every quiz/test for drivers ED. correct so i thought i was a decent driver and i'd never get in a crash. it just couldn;t happen to me....well it did. if it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone. just wait a few years for your truck. I know its not what you want to hear and its probably not what yopu want to do, but I'm telling you this not only for your own safety, but for the safety of my friends and family that drive the same roads.
----------------------------------------------
35" tires will proabbly be okay as long as you don;t wheel too hard. you prolly wont since the truck will be all new ad shiny and you won;t want to get it scratched ordented. but get a tarp for it becsue there is now way it'll fit in your garage riding on 35s
---Peacock

If it hasn't broken, let your girlfriend drive it...it'll break real quick

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
A good 3" suspension lift with all the doodads and a good 3" body lift with all the doodads will cost you close to $1000 by themselves. Having them installed will add at least another $1000. The wheels and tires will run anywhere from $750 to $1000. Don't forget you are going to have to regear your axles to keep your tranny from blowing up with those new, taller and heavier tires. So add another $1000 to $2000 depending on where you live. $3750 to $5000 to do it properly. If you can do all these things by yourself (doubtful, especially with the IFS lift), it would still cost you around $2250 to $2500 just for the parts you need unless you find some good deals.

Basically, my point is this:
No offense man, but $1000 is a very unrealistic goal for purchasing and making 35's fit on your Yukon. It just isn't going to happen for that little. It's a good start, but save your money and do it all the right way at the same time.

I know old people and young people who drive like idiots or who just can't drive. Some are stupid, some just don't seem to have the ability to drive correctly. They have to consciously think about every single thing they do while they are driving. Young people aren't necessarily bad drivers, but they are inexperienced. I'm 22 and have been driving for about 8 years now. I can handle my truck well because I have been driving it and various other cars and trucks for all 8 of those years. Experience is what counts.

One of my mom's first comments when I started talking about buying and lifting a truck when I was a teenager was something about it becoming "tippy" (roll over prone). I pointed out that I would be putting on tires that were at least 2" wider on each side and with the usually wider rims, I would cancel out most of the height issues. She didn't have anything to say about it then. Your dad isn't stupid, just uneducated about the subject. Explain things to him about lift height vs tire width. Your Center of Gravity goes up, but your base width gets wider. Things like that. May take some time, but eventually he will feel better about it if you explain it logically and calmly, and hopefully that will also give you more time to save $$$$ for the 6" or more worth of lift, 35" tires, rims, and everything else you need.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
About the kids not knowing how to drive trucks.....I'm 17 and I am a great driver. haha, never been in a wreck, never been pulled over. I pay for my own tires and gas, so therefore I drive like a grandma! Anyway, my point is i'm 17 and I can drive ;)

-Ryan S- 1994 Chevy Z-71 TwoTone Navy/Silver, 33in BFG Mud Terrains. Custom Flowmaster Dual Exhaust. K&N system. Custom Kenwood/Rockford Fosgate system, two 12" Rockford HE subs.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Like I said before there is a select few who can drive well from the begining. I too have been driving things around since I was real little, but this still dosent make you a good driver. I to have to pay for all the parts and gas that goes into my truck so I dont act like a moron, because I dont want to have to pay to fix what ever breaks. I have one advatage over the average person my mom, dad, and step-father all drive truck. In fact my mom runs a truck driving program at the local comunity colegee and my step-father was a 3rd party CDL examiner for the state of PA, so I have excellent teachers.

If it aint broke, keep fixing it till it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well damn ryan, heres your culprit. you made this post last week and jinxed yourself!!

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.