Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting some better gearing since with these big ol' tires, I can use 5th, 4th, or 3rd gear at 70mph! I could go with the tried-and-true Suzuki gears, but I'm curious about the success/failure people have had with the Yukon/US Gears. Not looking for product trashing, just curious what people's recommendations are.

-- Geoff Beasley

·
Registered
932 Posts
One bit of advice, on the 5.38 Yukons in particular, it is CRITICAL that the FSM be followed and the proper amount of preload be placed on the ring gear carrier bearings when setting the backlash. If they do not have the proper amount of preload, under high loading conditions, the carrier will flex, and the ring gear teeth will walk out onto the end of the teeth, and you will break off the ends of the teeth. Several sets have broken lately, and they have all had insufficient preload. The manufacturer is warning distributors of this, and that they will not warranty a failure resulting from this. It creates a very specific fracture, and it is readily apparent if it occurs. Other than that, they are the way to go, and with proper care during the setup, they are expected to run at least 70K - 80K miles prior to wear patterns setting in. Bill was right, theyare slightly softer than other gears, and while this makes them wear a little sooner, it reduces the tendency to develop micro fissures leading to broken gears.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
where the hell do you get these gears from...I guesse you could pretty much say the bigger you go the more liable you are and I think this applies to this as well! I heard that 5.83's are weak as heck!!! JUst heard that though!!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.