Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. fellars! I have not been on bbs for a while because I went to atlanta for the weekend!, no big deal right?... It turns out I get back home and some lightning has messed up our phones and shot the teleport on my modem so I went and upgraded my modem but sacrificed sound for now! But I am back in one piece and kickin' once again /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif !!!!

P.S. My lazy but has got to get a summer job!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You geust right man that suxs because I have to go pay and extra 50 buckaroos and pull this thing apart and then go through the installing process (hell I had to manually install the modem because my computer didnt know what to do!
What kind of modem did you get? You know I must not have turned something on because mine is 56k and is still moving like my old one!

P.S. I was so pissed that I had to go spend 35 bucks all of because one little part! And I had to make so many sacrifices (joystick...etc!!!) Yeah jay those cheap packard bell companies put the sound blaster and all on one modem so if you go through that...YOU ARE SCREWED

P.S. (2) Oh and for all you guys watching this please go get one of those protecters for your phone line because I really dont want to have any-one to go through this stuff!

Thanx
Studly

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I work for an major ISP in Canada and I can tell you why your not getting good speed. Because you paid 35$ for a modem, that's why. If you would have spent and little more on a good hardware modem (USRobotics) or something like that, you would be a much happier camper. Better speeds and a lot less problem (IE. disconnection...etc.). Just a thaught!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I don't think he will ba able to get 56K no matter what modem he has. Like you said, there is a lot of stuff you have to take into consideration, and I can tell you that even if you have a 56K modem, don't expect to connect at that speed..........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well when I go through my control panel to properties I can set the speed at whatever I want and for some reason there is a check-box that asks," just for connection" so I thought it would speed me up while I was on the internet it has gotten quicker but I expected much more!

Thanx
Studly

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another thing to notice is that don't go by what you see in the bottom right hand corner(beside clock) to chek your speed. That is just a flash of the speed when you do connect. The speed always fluctuate when you are connected.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I am happy with my CHEAP modem man!!!LOL /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
I think for the price it could not be beat and it did give me a little speed in the long run!

Thanx
Studly

·
Registered
673 Posts
man i love my DSL

Mark
90 samurai,5.5 SPOA,2"over shackles,front locker,welded rear 31-10.50 swamper TSLs removable doors,working on onboard air,
I need transfer case gears BAD!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know that is sad man cause I am starting to go cheap with my stuff other than my sammy man I have got to get a summer job!

Thanx
Studly

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Studly....there is a way to keep the sound/modem card in the machine along with the new modem. It depends on which combo card they used. Look at the card and see if there are any jumpers on it. If there are jumpers look at the letters on the card next to them. If there are remove any jumpers that say com and IRQ. If there are two spots that say IRQ only remove the jumpers from the one thats closer to the com jumpers. Plug the card back in and the sound should work and the old modem will be disabled.

Most people dont know that this is possible and they will tell you to simple buy a sound card as well.

Also, are you getting an error saying fax works is not responding? If so I know how to disarm that as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.