Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a york compressor on my 304 and was wondering what past experience might be present in this forum. I got the compressor and factory brackets off a 3-something cubic inch motor from a 70-80ish Wagglinears. It's a nice neat install because of the factory brackets but it DOES mount the compressor in a horizontal position.

Unfortunately this puts the output on the bottom and this makes me wonder if I am going to have serious oil in my air. What I would like to find is someone who has already been this route with a 304 and what their experience/solution was.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I would think that you would WANT the output port on the bottom. There is a drain hole in the input cavity that would allow the entire crankcase to drain into the suction line when the engine (compressor)stopped. The way it is, the crankcase has it's oil, and the output has....well...freon./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe it is what I want. Thing is I don't know AND I still have the question of is it going to blow Alll that oil inside straight out the port and into the rest of the system. Am I going to end up with an empty compressor and an air tank/lines full of oil and if so what can I do about it? I'd "like" to leave the compressor mounted as is because it's a no-brainer. Bolt it up to the factory mounts and go. If I "have" to I can figger out a way to mount it vertical. Rather not though. Comments/suggestions??

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif My ACE moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif is going to tell you ONE MORE TIME....If the intake port is ON TOP....you are crappin' in tall cotton! (If the intake port is on top THAT'S GOOD!!!!!!!!!)/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif The moonguy is exhausted....poor little guy.

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
It will work like that spook, most folks run some slick 50 or some other MAGIC oil in there, and yes eventually itll get low, fill it back up ( well not full, it blows more out faster full) after its worked for several hard hours...no sweat, there is awebsite somewhere that the guy stuck an oil seperator in line and routed it back to the input side...maybe sweet, maybe overkill?? just always keep oil in it...

do some web searches, Lots of folks run them with the stock horizontal brackets with no problems...

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Ozark's right spook....you can use 10W oil in the crankcase too, we did that on our service rigs and pumped for YEARS to solvent guns and air tools./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.