Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the kit from Broncoair.com. First of all the install went quite well until I went to put my hoses back onto my K&N. There was no possible way they would go back on without doing some fabricating on my K&N filter bracket. I had to re-drill some holes and I had to add a 2" spacer on the bottom of the filter bracket to raise it up. I couldn't lower the York any b/c the abs pump was in the way. Overall I like the bracket and it seems to be very sturdy. I had the belt on there for a couple of minutes and everything seemed to be fine. I was doing this by myself so I couldn't get as much tension on the belt as I would have liked so I just took off the belt for now. I am going to do my best to get this thing plumbed up by the weekend. I have everything ready to go except the beer and I'll pick it up tom. Here's a couple of pics.

http://www.superford.org/registry/users/2180/1365/York_1.jpg
http://www.superford.org/registry/users/2180/1365/York_2.jpg
http://www.superford.org/registry/users/2180/1365/York_3.jpg
http://www.superford.org/registry/users/2180/1365/York_4.jpg

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, me too on the bearings. My truck has 160,+++ miles on the power steering pump. If it goes out I'll blame it on the mileage--If it goes out again I'll blame it on the York. The kit is very $$$$$$$ but my fabricating skills really are not the best in the world especially when I do not have any plans whatsoever.

Brian

G

·
MS... Did you get the plumbing pictures I e-mailed you. Does my Q&D writeup make sense or have I been at the computer too long today...

Dave Couch

G

·
Pictures and Q&D writeup...

Picture xxx9.jpg, top view of passenger side rear of bracket, showing top of York, 1/2" check valve, and rubber hose to filter unit.

Picture xx10.jpg, Front view of York, mainly showing 1 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum bracket mounted to the side of York with extra hole cut for the plumbing, you can just make out the pressure switch on the far right of bracket. There is an similar bracket on the other side of the York for that side.

Picture xx11.jpg, Another front view of York and BroncoAir bracket. Notice the 1 1/2" x 1/8" vertical piece of aluminum. This is about 1 1/2 foot long with a "hock stick" bend on the bottom to keep the power steering high pressure hose away from the York belt. I munched a hose before I made this bracket, Chris at BroncoAir recommends using wire ties but this is a no-fail method. I will try to send a better picture of the bottom of this later. I feel that this is an important step, well worth the hassle of fitting this in vs. rigging a power steering hose 1/2 way between Denver and Taos NM.

Picture xx12.jpg, Driver side view of setup. As you can see the wiring is not done yet, I just pull the red wire over to the battery until other projects get done. Good view of plumbing though...

Picture xx13.jpg, Passenger side view of plumbing...

Picture xx14.jpg, More of plumbing.

Picture xx16.jpg, More of plumbing.

What I did in a nutshell:

1. From output of York I used the Onboardair output 1/2" fitting and put a 1/2" check valve on it. Input side of York has Onboardair air filter unit.

2. From the check valve I used a 1/2" to 3/8" hose barb, running the 3/8" hose to:

3. A 3/8" hose barb to 1/4" fitting on the filter unit.

4. From the filter unit I used a "zero clearance" 1/4" nipple to a 1/4" "T" fitting. See picture xx12.jpg.

5. To the top of the "T" fitting I put the 200# gauge. (see picture xx12.jpg)

6. To the bottom of the "T" I put another "zero clearance" 1/4" nipple to a 1/4" "X" 4-way fitting.

7. On the bottom of the "X" fitting I put the 150# pressure pop-off valve.

8. On the passenger side of the "X" fitting I put a "zero clearance" 1/4" nipple to a 1/4" "T" fitting with the "T" facing down.

9. On the bottom of the "T" I put a 1/4" x 3/8" air quick release chuck, this goes to the air tank up front.

10, On the other end of the "T" I put in a standard 1/4" nipple through the aluminum bracket to a 90 degree 1/4" fitting pointing up.

11. On the 90 degree fitting I put a 1/4" x 3/8" air chuck for engine work. See picture xx9.jpg.

12 On the drivers side of the "X" I put a "zero clearance" 1/4" nipple to a 1/4" "T" fitting with the "T" pointing down.

13. On the bottom of the "T" I put a 1/4" x 3/8" air quick release chuck, this goes to the air line that goes to the rear.

14. On the other end of the "T" I put in a standard 1/4" nipple through the aluminum bracket to a 90 degree 1/4" fitting pointing to the rear.

15. On this 90 degree fitting I put the pressure switch.

16. I mounted the 2 1/2 gallon Via-Air air tank inside the front bumper, picture did not turn out but this is the best place I found to mount it. Had to take bumper off and drill 4 holes for mounting and one for air chuck, not a big deal. From air tank I ran a short line to the top of the bumper for another air-chuck.

When time permits (next lifetime) I will pull the York out so I can get better pictures of the plumbing. Please e-mail using the address below if you have any questions. Hopefully this will save you from buying a plumbing store piece by piece. Also when I figure out how to attach more pictures I will post them also

Best Regards

David Couch
Senior Systems Administrator
Pentax Technologies
v 303-460-1639
f 303-460-1628
c 720-849-9956
e [email protected]
w http://www.pentaxtech.com

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yea--they helped out alot!!

Thanks,
Brian

G

·
Cool, hope I did't steal your thunder with my posting... Anyway I have a few more pictures and have finally created a superford account and will upload them tommorow.

Good luck on the plumbing.

dc

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave---Don't sweat that at all. You know alot more about this subject than I do.

BRian

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The more I think about it Chris at Broncoair should put a 3" spacer in his kit for the k&n air filter bracket set-up. When I ordered the kit he assured me there would be plenty of room between the york and my intake tubes. Well he was off by 2.5"-3" inches. Right now I have a 2" spacer in there and the tubes are still riding hard on top of the york. I will be adding a 3" spacer tom. so I won't melt my tubes. If anyone with a k&n fipk is thinking about this system just keep in mind you will have to do some fabricating. I still would reccomend the set-up but with a asterik.

Brian

G

·
That's a cool setup, nice job. I've got one of those york compressors sitting on the shelf. It came off my '76 Porsche 911 believe it or not. Back then the a/c was a dealer option, something to do with import taxes. Anyway it wouldn't hold R12 but it should work fine as an air pump. I was going to do like Norm suggested and put it in place of the smog pump. Anyone have experience with putting one on that side?

G

·
Really nice and neat install!!

I like to see that...

Question-- what is the PS Protector?

I'm getting my ducks in a row to do my OBA...

G

·
The PS Protector is a piece of aluminum 1 1/2" x 1/8" x 16" long that mounts on the side of the BroncoAir bracket to hold the Power Steering high pressure hose away from the York drive belt. I had used Chris's (BroncoAir) advice on using cable ties to hold back the high pressure line but on a trip to New Mexico the ties slipped and I cut a hole through the HP line. This happened about 1/2 way through the trip. I limped the bronco to Pueblo CO and jerry-rigged the hose and once I got to my folk's house I replaced the hose and got some aluminum stock and bent it to hold the line out of the way. I will pull the unit this weekend and post more pictures of this on Monday.

I can't wait to see what msuforman comes up with this weekend, I bet it will be killer!

dc

G

·
Gotcha'...
Cool beans.
thanks for the 411
Will keep that in mind when I jam my 'pressor in there

Not enough time... isn't that the problem we all have??

I have all these projects I've started, and can't seem to finish but a one of them!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts