Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the York compressor on the Mustang mill today.
It was a very easy install. It basicly sits right where the stock rotary compressor is located. I needed to fabricate a bracket. I used 1/4" steel plate, and basicly fabricated a 6 1/2" tall x 6" long x 5" wide L bracket, then fabbed a bracket for the front of the mounts on the steering pump bracket, and a set of angled brackets for the rear. It sits about an inch higher than the stock compressor so I needed, a 6 rib serpentine belt about 3" longer than the stock belt (80 1/2" by-passing the thermactor(smog pump), it would be 96" with the pump hooked up).
I just need to get a pressure switch, and regulator tomorrow. I have already fabbed an aluminum manifold to feed the ARB, air tank, etc, and plan to use an aluminum 20 lb CO2 tank located under the bed at the rear compartment riser. I brased some 1/2" NPT fittings onto the standard, O ring compression fittings on top of the York.
Kenworth truck sales was a real help for anything I needed. They have boxes of York parts right there in stock. And they were fairly affordable(brand new 10" Yorks $175). I hooked up a hose and filled a 38.50 tire, and this thing really puts out some air at about 2000 RPMs,
Anyway, Here are a few pics.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a pic of the York installed.

Jeff
89 YJ

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hres a pic from the other side, everything fits like if it was ordered from the factory.
Ive been wanting to install this thing for months, since I aquired it from CJ Dave(thanks buddy), but didnt want to put the time and effort into the project untiill I had the 5.0 installed. It si sure worth it to have a continuouse supply of high volume air on hand whenever you need it (goodbye CO2 tank, Goodbye ARB compressor).

Jeff
89 YJ

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just look how happy I am. :)

Jeff
89 YJ

G

·
Nice job! I'm thinking of doing this myself. Where did you get the serpentine clutch assy., and where did you get the radiator over-flow can? I've been looking for one for my 5.0, but I've been using one of the cheap plastic kits in the meantime.

Dean

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Looks like a factory install. And that picture! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Oh, the intimacy between man and his machine... /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Btw, what did you paint the York with? Did you get the serpentine clutch from the Kenw. store? How much was it? Looks nice.

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R

G

·
H8, that work looks top notch/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif! Real nice setup.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did get the serpentine clutch from Kenworth, it was $86. They have a lot of York parts in stock.
I also bought the O ring connectors there, they were $7 each. I cut the crimp on ends from the fittings and braised on 1/2 NPT male threads. The filter is a K&N valve cover style filter, clamped onto a 1" pipe coupleing.
I painted it, months ago when I 1st got it from Dave, then put it in storage and forgot about it, until about a week ago. I think it was something like Midnight Blue, Plasticote Laquer. I still need to fabricate a throttle adjuster, for the shifter, and finish the plumbing on the supply side.
Dean,
I got the aluminum overflow from Summit, and then fabbed a siphon tube onto it.
Proracer makes a very nice overflow tank though, with everything but a radiator capfor something like $50. Their number is 402-474-3331.
Here is a close up of the fittings.

Jeff
89 YJ

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hahahaha, Chris, you are brutal. I am not looking forward to that extreme flat tow experience, it sounds scarry.
I have to admit though, I have been spending way more time fabricating than wheeling these days. But the rig is feeling very sound again, (Its been days now, since something has broken or let go, or Ive had to get out in traffic and ajust someting).
I wheeled it lightly last weekend, and everything felt great, except I had forgotten what it was like to point the front straight into the air, put it in low, lock it and go skyward.
Im gonna beat it up, this weekend. Maybe Ill get some wheelin pics for a change of pace,(I have to climb things scarry enough to make Jeepchick bail, in order to get her to take pics).

Jeff
89 YJ

G

·
As usual it looks like a factory install. I need to spend more time dressing things up under the hood on mine.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Once again Jeff, SUPER clean job. Those are pretty good compressors aren't they? At least the major work on it is coming to a close and then you can go have some fun.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"

G

·
ok jeff- one more atta-boy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
you are doing a fine job on the YJ!
don't lose the headlights........
what will be a comfortable top highway speed with the V8?

steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts