Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone, have a Serpentine Cluth Pulley for a York compressor, that they would like to sell, or trade for a double V belt pulley.
I was thinking about installing my York onto the 5.0 tonight , but the serpentine pulley on the stock rotary compressor, will not bolt up to my York.
I checked out the new ones at www.onboardair.com , but they want $110 for one.
What model vehicles came with the York and serpentine belt system, so that I might scavenge one(not that the scrawny no good for nothin yards in the vegas area would have em anyway,), but I would like to try to find a used one, if possible.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif This is kind of a long shot H8, but maybe you could try calling "acemeck". His e-mail is down right now, but I am sending you his phone # by your private e-mail. Ace works for a huge trucking company and knows just about all there is to know about 10" Yorks./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
H8, onboardair.com has a serp./v combo pulley for the alternator that's only $40. You can use your existing v-pulley on the York with that setup. Wouldn't that work for you? Or you could get a small v-pulley, bore it out and weld it on to the existing alt. serp. pulley for the same results.

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I think what H8 is doing here is substituting the 10 Cu. In. York for the stock rotary compressor that came on that 5.0, so it is really just a matter of getting the pulley to match the belt. That little combo pulley is a stroke of genius....no doubt about it./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excactly Dave. The 5.0 set up has the AC unit on the opposite side of the engine as the alternator, but it has a great mounting point to build a simple bracket and locate the York in an upright position, in the excact location as the stock rotary compressor. A nice factor in this configuration, is that, with the tensioner system, no provisions need to fabbed into the bracket to provide tension adjustments.
None of the anemic local yards have anything, but that doesnt surprise me.
Im sure I could fab up some sort of Frankenstein clutch system, with the parts from other units, but I wanted to try to keep it simple. I still have checks left in my checkbook,though, so a phone call to Kilby Enerprises will be my next step, (unless someone on the BBS has one, or I find one laying beside the trail today).

Jeff
89 YJ

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif This may be one of those instances when a well-placed C-note is the appropriate remedy. Every now and then it works out that way./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the thing is, that I got a really good deal on the York, (thanks), so it just seemed ironic to have to spend nearly twice as much as the York just for the clutch.
I do want to get it fabbed up though, so if a C note will go far to help achieve it, the thats what Im gonna do.
(So Ill have a nice cleaned up double V pulley clutch for a York, if someone needs one.)

Jeff
89 YJ

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I have a serpentine York off of a Freightliner big rig. I have a friend that used to work in their service dept. They used to pull Yorks like they were going out of style, of course only while the engines were under warranty. I am using one of those yorks on my CJ7 with a junkyard clutch/pulley. I still have a extra complete york with serp belt though. I have been saving it in case I need it later. I am in the middle of my Scrambler build up now and I will be using a york on my new 4.0. I don't know much about putting a York on a 4.0 though. If you can talk me out of it I am willing to listen.

Later,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I've got two Yorks, one with a double-groove pulley and another with a single-groove pulley. The engine I'm looking at buying (360) already has a York on it, so your welcome to whatever parts you need. Send me an E-mail or Private Message for shipping arrangements.

G

·
I've been looking for a Serpentine cluch pulley for 8 months, the yards around hear are just picked to death, I need the info also.

Arkycrawler

83 CJ-7/chevy 350/44-20 with lockers/4"lift/33x12.5 swampers on hellcats/9500 ramsey. I'm in LOVE!

·
Registered
479 Posts
BTDT. My Jeep was used for the prototype on Brad's serpentine set up, but I agree about the cost on those clutch's. There was a California emissions CJ with a serp York on it, and somebody told me that there's an early 80's Mustang application but I never checked into that.

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 with less "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
You can get the serp clutch from a big rig York. Call a freghtliner dealer and ask. My York is from a Freightliner box truck. It has a Navistar name plate on it. I can post the part number if anyone is interested. I am pretty sure that the serp pulley doesn't fit on a v-groove clutch, but I may have that backwards. Let me know if anyone wants the part number.

Later,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found one at a local Kenworth Dealership.
The brand name is Climatech, part # KA1410. Cost was $86.
Every brand of Truck Sales that I called, carried York compressor parts(along with new and used York compressors).
The Kenworth dealer just happened to have a bunch of them in stock, and was running a sale, (the one I bought was normaly $106).
Anyway,
Thanks for the help.

Jeff
89 YJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts