Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am accunulating all of the stuff I need for onboard air. I need to find out what kind of fittings are best to put on top of the york. My york came without any of the factory fittings attached to either the suction or discharge. I need some sort of fitting to screw on the top so that I can go ahead and install it in my jeep. Also, I would like to use my front Smittybuilt bumper as an airtank. I have heard that the end caps of the bumper are not sturdy enough to hold compressed air. I figured I would take a cutoff wheel or something and trim the lower tube back about 6" to the point where the tube bends. This would enable me to run over more, bigger, stuff. I was wondering what kind of cap, welding rod, paint that is as tough as powdercoating. I do everything to my jeep on a budjet, only way to go. I figured on shortening the bottom tube, leaving the top tube the same length, and installing a quick connect for air tools along with a pressure gauge on the front bumper. What do Ya'll think??
THANX in Advance

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Here is a picture of how I cut back my Smittybilt bumper for better clearance, I have never beeen able to get mine to hold air well(you may be able to see the air chuck on the passenger side) It still has a slow leak though, so I only use it to build up enough air to set a bead(it has a valve to keep it out of the system normaly). As for paint I use a side grinder sanding disc,then prime with Plasti-Kote sandable laquer primer $3.99, Then I use Duplicolor truck bed spray liner and spray a light coat,(it adheres awsome to the primer,and paint adheres awsome to it, and it looks a lot like powder coat when painted) then a coat of Plasti-Kote Body Shop Paint(laquer)$3.99. I know its a lot of work just go out and beat the piss out of it, but I like to keep the Jeep looking good going out, even if it comes home a little worse for the wear. Besides painting time is a good time to look everything over and inspect dammage. Welding, I just use a Hobart Mig Welder and caulk the weld with paintable silicone afterwards.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Oh yeah, for cutting the tubes I used a skillsaw with a metal blade to make the first pass and give it a nice clean straight cut(17 years of framing makes the Skillsaw and a big hammer my favorite tools on almost all materials), then I finsh the cut with a Sawzall, and grind, the end plates are 1/4" flat stock.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.