Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I went wheeling on Sunday and finally broke something with my newly V8 swap. I was waiting for something to happen... :)

I broke my rear driveshaft u joint and ripped the straps off the yoke on my rear.

I was told to change to u-bolts so they will be stronger. Can I just drill out the holes and buy ubolts? Can I get the ubolts at a local parts place? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
i have drilled out many many of the strap type yokes.. go and get u-bolt kits for a chevy and drill out the yoke... you'll never break one again..unfortunatley, they really stroke you for the kit... i think they are about $4 each and you need 8 to do the whole jeep

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
I was thinking about this lately.
I just had both driveshafts out and man what wimpy little bolts.
My 85 looked like 1/4" and 5/16" heads. I didn't "TORQUE" them back down.
It looked like I could have broke them with a 1/4" ratchet!
Any more imput on this subject? I think it would seem to be alot stronger.
Next what size is it? I'm guessing 5/16". I think 3/8" would be too big a hole to drill in the yoke and retain strength.
TIA

Wider is better but taller is cooler!

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
hmm i'm not sure.. i allways just used a bit just big enough to clean out the threads( and usually the broken bolt inside)

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I got the part number #2-94-58X off of that site. Do I have to get them from a dealer or a local parts store? What about the above post about chevy u bolts? Any opinions?

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I got mine at NAPA. Bring the SPICER numbers listed in the article and they should be able to help you - had 'em in stock too. I did it to my Dana35.

Good luck,
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
630 Posts
I just replaced my rear yoke with the u-bolt kind. It cost a few bucks, but I don't expect to have to do it ever again. I got everything from 4WD Hardware.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
i did this to a YJ dan 35 myself, good upgrade
only drawback i can see is you will now be able to overtighten them, (distorting the U-joint caps, causing the to heat up and premature failure)
I have straps on my dana 60 and think i'm going to stay with them, (unless the yoke gets worn and the caps start to rotate)
my 2 cents.....

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.