Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What percentage plus or minus can the yokes be off in degrees from papallel. I just measured mine with an angle finder and found the rear axle(Dana 44) yoke titled up 12 deg differance from the t-case (Dana 20) yoke. I am thinking of installing degree wedges under the axle pads but the largest I have found are 8 deg, this would still leave 4 deg differance. I have lowered the t-case approx 3/4" and don't want to go any lower than that. I live in a small town without the luxury of a axle shop and the welder here, well lets say I don't want him touching my suspension.
WSM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A good rule is that the angles be within 3 degrees. Also follow the equal but opposite method (non CV). If you are running a CV point the yoke until its center line matches that of the driveshaft then tilt down 2 degrees for pinion climb. If you think you need a shim with more than four degrees, I would relocate the spring pads.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Technically U-joint angles should be within 1*of each other to avoid vibration and for maximum U-joint life the constant angle of each joint should be between 3* and 7*. The real world often dictates otherwise, but still 2* from each other and 15* constant angle each is about as far as you want to go with a standard shaft. In your case, I'm surprised that with a difference of 12* you aren't experiencing driveline vibration. How did you get such a drastic angle? Are you running REALLY long shackles? You really should relocate the brackets if you can't get the pinion angle more in line. Might be time to consider a CV shaft as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.