Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went four wheeling this weekend and I think that I messed up one of my wheel bearings. Every time I went over a larger rock, when it came down the other side there was a loud crack coming from the passenger side tire. I am pretty sure its a shot wheel bearing, but what I am wondering is if this is something I can fix myself, how much time will it take and will I need any special tools. I am on a budget so I really can't afford to take it to a shop. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
the hubs on the YJ D30 are pressed on, at least on my '88 they are. I think you would have to take the entire axle to a machine shop and have the work done?

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wheel bearings on my 94YJ are part of the hub and can't be replaced separately, however the hub just bolts in and can be replaced with normal hand tools. I helped a guy replace his on the trail with no problems at all.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It is a whole assembly, that is correct, and it runs about $100 a side at AutoZone / Pep Boys. It is not neccessarily easy to get out, though, they tend to be frozen in to the knuckle pretty good, often requiring a puller / heat , etc. to get out. If you do get it out, be sure to coat the new one with plenty of antiseize so when you need to do it the next time, it'll come out.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(1) Pull off the wheel.
(2) Remove the brake caliper (2 bolts).
(3) Remove the hub nut (takes 36mm socket).
(4) Remove the hub and dust shield off the end of the outer axle shaft
(3 bolts on back side of hub - takes 12-point half inch socket).
(5) Slide new hub on and reverse steps above.

Note that the hub nut needs to be torqued to something like 150-180
foot pounds. This requires a long torque wrench or breaker bar.

It's really fairly simple.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might also check the U joint at the end of the axle before replacing the wheel bearing hub. If there's movement in the U joint it will cause noise.
U joints are a lot cheaper that wheel bearing hubs.

Ralph...

Carpe Dium - to make every day count!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.