Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and myself were doing some thinking on the way back from a 4 wheeling trip this weekend. Personally, I am sick of the crappy t-case linkage on the TJ's. When you do a body lift or lower your skid-plate the linkage becomes worse...even with that stupid drop bracket. If you don't set the linkage just right, you won't get 4 wheel drive or even worse, it pops out while you're on an obstacle.

That got me to thinking. I remember on my old YJ's that they didn't use a linkage. The shifter rod went right to the t-case.

Now, my obvious question, why couldn't TJ owners take a YJ shifter and put it on their TJ's t-case? Yeah, I know that you would have to modify the center console a little bit. That's no big deal. Does anyone think that this would work? I need to crawl under a YJ again to see how it's set-up, but I'm guessing that this swap will work.

Anyone want to comment on this? Anyone thought of this already? Anyone done this?

RABID K-9
Great Lakes Jeep Thing Treasurer
HEMI ORANGE 1997 TJ SPORT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pretty serious about this, aren't you? :cool: This is the fourth place I've seen you post this topic. Let us know what you find. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my (now) rattle-free t-case linkage on my TJ. It shifted fine yesterday when I was paddling through a lake bed with my trailer, and then stayed in 4-hi while I climbed the dam with a loaded trailer. This Friday I'll get to work (ok, play) in some more interesting terrain.

See ya back at Midwest Jeepthing
Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...or maybe it started popping out after a Jeep-backflip...lol /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes! If you can get clear pictures of the linkage that would be great. Any help is appreciated. It's either that or I have to crawl under a YJ. I don't think that's going to happen for quite a while. It's too damn cold and snowy here.

Thanks!

K-9

RABID K-9

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Bill!

I'm determined to solve this soon. I have a 1" body lift waiting to go on. I don't want to add that stupid extension plate to lower my linkage. I'd rather slp on a YJ shifter, but I need to see if it can be done.

I'm not the only one experiencing difficulties with this shifter. Other people have complained of the noise and how it jumps out of 4 Low or High when four wheeling. It has to do with the torque of the motor when the drivetrain twists under acceleration. I want to devise something else to get rid of having to deal with the maze of linkages. Seem rediculous.

K-9

RABID K-9

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rabid, why not just put on a twin-stick in place of the stock linkage.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I'd deduced that part of the problem is due to torque reaction under load. That's why I noted that I didn't have any trouble when pulling a loaded trailer up a dam in 4-hi. The solution you were originally contemplating (way back when) was a new polyurethane mount for transmission/t-case. Going to all poly mounts might reduce the displacement under load. I was looking at my t-case linkage last night, and noticed that there are two bosses on the t-case (or transmission?) that appear to be threaded. You could use these to mount a linkage. If the linkage isn't attached to the floor pan (or transmission hump), then the drivetrain could displace without affecting shifting (as long as you've got a big enough hole in the floor for the shifter).

I wonder how many people remembered to re-adjust their t-case linkage after lowering the transfer case or doing a body lift? I'd check the linkage adjustment and that hard plastic bushing in the bracket to make sure that it isn't something simple. Yes, I know that it's more interesting to design and build a new linkage that avoids the problem entirely, especially if it avoids the adapter to drop the bracket.

Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't think a twin stick will work on a NP231...not sure though if it will then I will try it.

Rabid, its pretty freakin cold here too(got into the teens today, woohoo!!) I will get some pics for you today or tomorrow and send them your way.

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Am I hearing, I mean reading this right? Someone wants something from a YJ on a TJ? Yes finally the YJ get a little credit. LOL
Hey K-9 you are welcome to come down to Louisiana and crawl under my YJ. Its in the 70's here. I still have my top and doors off.

Kiley /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
94YJ
Alittle better than stock.
And now with a future Jeeper on the way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kiley,

You know what's funny? On the YJ's Jeep used a linkage for the automatic transmission that ran from the steering column all the way down and back to the transmission. Terrible design! However, the YJ's t-case shifter went straight to the t-case. Good design!

On the TJ's the automatic transmission shifter goes right to the transmission. Great design! However, the t-case shifter goes through a serious of linkages before it goes to the t-case. Terrible design.

So, in that respect, the YJ and TJ are equal. However, the YJ's ability to ramp 500 on a 23 degree ramp make it the true winner over the TJ. NOT! LOL!

K-9

RABID K-9

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm just thankful that it's not push-button 4wd with a front axle disconnect using an electrically-heated actuator. Ewww!

Sounds like Suzuki had a good idea when they set the Samurai up with NO linkages. Each shifter goes directly into its unit. I still prefer my TJ.

Bill D
'98 TJ Sport
Member Mid-Rivers Jeepthing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.