Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1992 Jeep wrangler and want to put new leaf springs and shocks on it but with a budget but reliable. I am looking at around a 2 or so inch lift for bigger tires. Any ideas? Also, stock, would 30in widetrack tires fit under it? thanks

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I ran 31x10.5's on my YJ with old springs and a 1" body lift. No sway-Bar or track-bars and i did not rub..

Take a look at www.4wd.com.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh, my jeep has old almost flat springs and the original shocks. If I put 2 in lift shocks on it, would that lift it or do those only work with the 2in lift springs? Otherwise, is this link (YJ budget lift) a better way to go?- http://www.rocky-road.com/jeepsus.html

thanks

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Conventional shocks have no weight-carrying capacity, so they won't give any lift. Lift shocks are just longer to work with a lifted suspension.

Air shocks can give some lift, but at the expense of harsher ride.

G

·
Just remember, budget lift means cheap lift which means that it does not take you long to realize that you wasted your money.....

Truth is, there is NO cheap lift that will give you a good ride (translation, beat your kidneys to death).

Don't worry about those flat springs...stock springs are supposed to look that way....

You can put on 30" tires without changeing anything....if you off-road, yea, it will rub a little, but you will be fine. 31" tires will even fit.

Avoid the body lift....it says "Hey, I want to 'look' like I'm a cool off-roader but I don't have the bucks to do it right". It will give you a little tire clearance but does nothing for actual trail clearance.

You need to figure out what you want to do with the jeep. If you want to drive around and just look cool without regard to ride quality and ride stiffness, then, the sky's the limit....But if you think you really want to enjoy the jeep and explore this great country, then you will need to do some research...

BTW...welcome...not trying to rag on you, but the most common thing we see here is your exact question..."bought a new jeep...I want a cheap lift...etc"....and we say the same thing...figure out what you want to do with it and do the research....it's like a trip...half of the trip is just figuring where you want to go.....

Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts