Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I just got a set from http://www.jcwhitney.com for 260 delivered to my door. If you are looking for used I don't know of any offhand.

pbm

ROLLED The 74 CJ5, so I am now building a 78 CJ7

Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

G

·
Ok..i've seen a lot of posts about replacing CJ springs with YJ springs. What is the advantage of this? Are they softer so they flex more? Do they provide any lift? Are they a direct bolt in? I saw something awhile back about buying the JC Whitney 7 leaf spring packs and that they give you about 1.5 inches of lift. Is this true because they are pretty cheap. I was wondering about this since my front end sits pretty low on my 84. Thought about replacing the fronts to even out the ride!

David
Missouri

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Tom- They look pretty good, they are riveted, they are not military wrapped, they do have plastic pads at the ends of the springs too. For $67 a piece it was half of 4wd.com. Yes, I am doing a spring over again with them.
Patch- The YJ springs tend to be a little flexier than the CJ springs. The downfall is they sag quicker. They are a bolt in for the rear of a '76 later CJ, but the fronts are 2.5" wide and the CJ's are only 2" wide. Not sure of the lift on the JCW springs yet, I went with the 5 leaf pack since that is what I had on my CJ5, and liked the height of it and performance.
pbm

G

·
i run the jcw rear cj 7leaf hd's at all 4 corners on my jeep and they flex great. they are military wrapped and i would recomend them. you could run them on all 4 corners of a yj with no modification too. $69 a piece.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's

G

·
oh yeah, i have run yj springs too and like these better.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb

G

·
high5

the YJ springs ya ran, were they the JC Whitney HD 6leaf packs?

that is what i am thinking of useing all around for my SOA, i have HD shackles and bushings from MORE that i would like to use and they wont fit in CJ springs

what ya think?

Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/

G

·
yes i am running them soa. is there any other way?

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb

G

·
b/mangler, no they were stock yj springs. the springs you are planning to use should work fine. i havn't seen them though. i really like the cj 7leaf springs because they are military wrapped on both ends.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Lookin at the JCW springs, both the CJ and YJ stuff they never mention being Military Wrapped. So I looked at mine on the Jeep, and if they are Military Wrapped it is like none I have ever seen before, they just look like a stock eye, is there different types of Military Wraps?

Stock (these are the same ends as the JCW ones, just easier to get a pic of)

and these are what I've always thought of Military Wrapped ones

and I read somewhere that the second leaf was involved in the wrap (as the second picture shows), but not on the current JCW stuff.

pbm

G

·
Tom I too have the HD7leaf MR JC whitney springs and I can tell you that the picture you see on top, are not the CJ ones. They are more like the YJ springs
The CJ ones look more like that smaller picture on the bottom.

The springs are great in a SOA set up IMO
And yes they are MR springs

Rob
http://sites.netscape.net/tapboxerc/homepage

G

·
We sell stock used sets for $150.00 plus shipping.
As for the other concerns, a "set" of YJ springs are 2.5" wide at all 4 corners. CJ rears are 2.5" and CJ fronts are 2". The YJ springs will fit the CJ front but you will need to change the front spring hangers to YJ as well as the u-bolt plates. The saddles will remain the same. The YJ springs are much softer and will articulate way better than lifted springs. They seem to be the best for SOA's since they flatten under load and flex out when unloaded. Go here to see my old Jeep in action. The stock YJ springs should be fine with what you are trying to achieve. Good luck. Ben

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Yes, the pics are of YJ springs. When you look at the CJ ones on JCW and the YJ ones they are the same, that is why I asked, since nowhere do they say Military Wrapped, when most of the time people will advertise that.

Edit- upon re-reading what I wrote in the post with the pics, it could be construed I was sarcastically saying High5 didn't know what a Military Wrap spring looks like. This was not my intention and if I offened you Brian, I am sorry. I was looking at the CJ and YJ springs on JCW and they looked the same (my fault for believing a website pic)I should have posted it this way instead "this is what the end of the YJ pacs look like (non MR pic), and this is a MR, is this what the CJ springs have on them? I also took it for granted they were not MR since MR is a high selling point and it wasn't mentioned I assumed they were not. Again Sorry if I offended you, not my intention at all.

pbm

G

·
yes i know what military wrapped springs look like. i'm not a newbie. yes the 7 leaf hd rear springs for a cj from jcw are wrapped. don't worry no offense taken. from what i understand only the 7 leaf hd's have the m/wrap.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Grumpy,

Yes, I have a pair of YJ 4 leaf and a pair of YJ 5 leaf I would part with, $100 for all, you pick up shipping.

Oh, and the spring pictured does not have a Military Wrap, that comes from tbe bottom spring and wraps around the main eye. The picture you posted is if a Snail Wrap, which essentially performs the same function.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts