Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone know if a 258 (from an 82 CJ7) will bolt up to an AX-5 tranny from an 89 YJ (4cyl with 5 spd)? If so, anything special needed? Or is it a direct marriage?

thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
you could probably find a conversion bellhousing....

but.....

i wouldnt....AX-5 isnt a real tough trans....i would imagine you wouldnt get much life out of it compared to an other trans.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Wrong It will bolt up with the AX-5 Bell housing. Wrong

You will need a custom bell housing or adaptor. Given what an adaptor or custom bell housing would cost you would be better off upgrading the transmission and using a stock 4.0 or 258 bell housing.You will need to use a Ax-5 clutch disk, as it uses different splines then the transmissions that came behind 258's and may need a different throughout bearing. You many need to do something about motor mounts. And definatly will run into other issues. But it will work. That said this swap is not a good idea. The AX-5 is not a very strong transmission and the 258 makes alot of torque. Given what an adaptor or custom bell housing would cost you would be better off upgrading the transmission and using a stock 4.0 or 258 bell housing. Also I believe your 150 is TBI so whiching to a 258 will lose you fuel injection. Given the time and effort this will take your should consider a 4.0 swap. THis would give more power and MPI fuel injection. Regardless of which you do (258 or 4.0) do a search for a 2.5 to 4.0 swap as the physical fit of a 258 is the same as a 4.0. With either swap a different transmission is inorder.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
i thought it was the ax-15 that fit up to the 258, not the ax-5

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
757 Posts
After some more looking I may be wrong. Several sites have stated that the back of the 2.5 is different then other AMC engines. Can anyone conferm this?

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
After some more looking I may be wrong. Several sites have stated that the back of the 2.5 is different then other AMC engines. Can anyone conferm this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this is true in 1984-86 XJs; the 2.5 4 cyl and the Chevy built 2.8 V-6 are interchangable. In 1987, the 4 cylinder XJs retained the original transmissions where the 4.0 (the 1st model year) ones used completely different transmissions and were not interchangeable.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I was completly wrong before!! I just got back from work and did somemore looking. I even found a picture on 4x4wire showing the back of the engine. The 4 banger has a trapizodal bolt pattern while the 4.0 and 258 and AMC V8's use kind of a semicircle pattern.

So You will need an adapter, however my previous coments against this are still valid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts