Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the earlier post. I haven't seen his jeep in a almost two years. Thought he had a first year TJ. Anyway same problem no speedo and he has since gone to a 700R4 Xmsn. Now can someone help. Again sorry I screwed it up the first time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The engine/trans combo doesn't make a difference. The speedo is driven by the transfer case. If your friend is using the stock T-case then his speedo gear doesn't drive a cable like the older style. NP-231 T-cases (YJ's & TJ's) use an electronic sensor at the T-case. I believe it is on the drivers side of the case either on or just before the tailshaft housing. A pigtail with two wires hooks up to it. Did your friend ditch the stock computer? I believe that the speed sensor is hooked to the computer (inputs speed as one of the data inputs for computer), and runs from the computer to the speedo.

My other car is a BULLDOZER

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If all else fails, he can pull the stock speedo and replace it. Down at the NAPA, they have two really nifty speedos. One uses gear drive, and the other uses a magnet and a sensor (similiar to a bike speedo). On either one, all you do to set it up properly is to measure out a set distance (I think 300'), press the set button, drive the distance, and stop. It sounds like it would be horribly inaccurate, right? Not really. Our speedometers in the tractors that run off of a radar system and are used to control all sorts of incredibly precise jobs (planting, spraying chemicals, etc.) use the same sort of calibration, and they are incredibly accurate.

Trying to come up with a witty line to end all of my posts...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
utahjeepr has the right info. I guess it just means that my computer is messed up.

Thanks for the replies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.