Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, this is what we are planning. '87 YJ with 400sbc/s-10 700R4 tranny and s-10 np231 transfer case. The front and rear differentials out of a 1979ish ford f150. Watcha think, half way decent setup? thanks mick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sounds good.

Muddynut
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif 78 CJ7 "Issues" /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i starting to wander if anybody knew or cared. can you see any unforseen problems, thanks mick

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Does that n31 have a slip yoke? If it does I'm not sure if the jeep 231 sye will fit the s-10 231. What side is the pig on the f-150 axles? I assume the the 231 has a drivers side out put? Have you decide on tires, wheels or suspnesion yet? these guys know everything.
BarrelRoll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What differentials WOULD those be?

In 1979, the F100 was Ford's 1/2 ton PU. Wasn't the F150 Ford's 5/8 ton? Ford had a 5/8 ton to get around the emmissions laws that the 1/2 ton was subject to.

I may be getting my years mixed up.

Joey

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, I just put a 350/700R4/NP241 into my 92 Wrangler. Your setup will be almost identical to mine. I used a trans from an S-10, the t-case is from a 3/4 ton Chevy. I used conversion mounts and radiator from 4WD Hardware. The only problem I had was that the fan was too close to the radiator with the stock driveshaft. I thought about elec fans, but opted to shorten the driveshft by 1" instead. I though, at first, that this was the more difficult option. However, the driveshaft was much easier to shorten that installing elec fans. You will probably need some custom driveshaft work for those Ford axles anyway. Just a thought......if you can find Dana 60 axles from an F-250, you'll be thankful you took the extra time. Dana 60's are almost indestructable, but, if you drive like me, that small block 400 will eat those Dana 44's in no time - hehe.
Good luck. If you need some more info on the swap, drop me a line.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
How did you match the Chevy T case passenger side drop with, YJ or Ford driver side drop axles?
I also dont understand how shortening your drive shaft, gave you more room between your radiator and engine?
Very confusing.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Actually Jeff, S10s have the differential on the left side. I don't see shortening a driveshaft being easier than electric fans though?

Now some points of interest on the swap....Are you going to drive the truck on the street?If so, can you do so legaly in you state with full width axles sticking out of the fenders?Do you already have the axles?If not, there are two different front axles for a 79 f150. The standard f150 has coilsprings and radius arms up front, while the supercab has leaf springs. Either axle is the same width but the one from a leaf sprung truck would be easier to adapt. If you don't have the axles yet, try looking for 75-77 bronco axles. They are shorter but are still a dana44 and 9".

·
Registered
425 Posts
Love the sb 400 chevy, one thing to watch out for, and forgive me because it's been awhile, but I believe you will need an externally balanced flexplate for the 400. Since it was never mated to the 700r, you will need to get one off a newer small block, and have it balanced for a 400. Unless, of course, the old 400 flexplate can mate up to a 700r touque converter. I had this problem with my 400, I tried to mate it to a 4 speed, but supposely 400's never came mated to 4 speeds, so a machine shop had to balance a flywheel for me, no big deal, it cost $75 i think.

'84 CJ-7, 4.2, 3.5" Lift, 31's, YJ tub, TR upgrade, Moser 1 piece, LED's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a ford truck, i understood it to be a 4x4 1979 f150, for a little of nothing. It has a v8 and i believe a 3 or 4spd tranny. the transfer case is shot according to the former owner. I just looked at the axles and saw it had disc brakes in the front with leafs and had drums in the back with leafs and asked the man if he wanted to sell it. he said yeah, so i bought it strictly for the axles. I was told it has a D44 in the front and 9" in the rear by another ford fella. ??????? i don't know, i'm not a ford man really, but it sounds as if it ain't a f150.
i live in south carolina, if we have a law about the axles outside the fenders, the law enforcement does enforce it. there is mucho many rubbas outside their bubba trucks.
i am planning to run stock springs with a add-a-leaf SOA 35" 80% of the time on the street and the rest pulling log & grain trailers across fields, so 4wd is a must. the little hopped up 258 I6 w/ 31" i got now is doing the job wonderfully, but has a crack in the block now and 5spd puegsnot tranny is about mush.
Yes the S-10 NP231 has a slip yoke, i understand it's the same as my YJ's NP231 but has a different spline count(YJ's 21 & S-10's 23), i'll probably will eliminate that and change over to a fixed yoke. What is the NP241?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey thanks for the info on the 400sbc. i don't have the engine yet, but fixin to buy it, but i don't know what it was bolted to, probably a 350 or 400 in a chevy truck? if it was bolted to one of those autos, does it still need to be balaced for a 700r4?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Alright here is the last question...Do the axles have 5 lugs or 8? If they are five lugs they are a 44 and 9", If they have 8 lugs they can either be a 44/60(f250)or dual 60s(f350). The axles are all the same width.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They aren't 8 as well as i remember, because doesn't the 8's have a large hub that sticks out in the rear also. This one does not, it's flat.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah...they are a 44/9" combo. Plenty stout for a jeep. The ony thing to remember is that most of them came stock with only 3.50 gears.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
3.50, aw man, that's a little high, but i won't be rock crawling and the jeep is light so 3.50 won't be so bad. i can always slide in some 4.11's or 4.56's if needed. thanks for the info

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Does the Ford have leafs or coils up front?

Jeff
89 YJ

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Never mind, I read that it has leafs up front. I believe that the F250 only had the leafs. The 1/2 tons had coils and radius arms didnt they?

Jeff
89 YJ

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.