Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
After a trip to the desert in April I was hearing a squeaking sound under the jeep when I started out from a stop. Took it over to the mechanic, it turns out I broke the plate that holds the transmission mount(not the skid plate, I think it's called the bash plate or tork mount).

Anyway I had it fixed, and the mount, stud, rubber, and hardware replaced.

So I go out again Memorial Weekend, run some pretty basic dirt roads, mild inclines -- really low level stuff...get back and find that it's broken again!

Now I'm worried. This can't be a good sign.

Anyone have any ideas about this? All information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave Sramek

------------------
'93 YJ 4.0l, 1" Add A Leafs, Rancho rs5000s, 1.25" Shackles, ProComp MTs 31x10.5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've had that plate break on my 91 YJ also. Id say to check your engine mounts if you havent done that already. If they are bad they will put more stress on the tranny mount.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...This of course brings me to another question--

Is there a trick to know if your motor mounts are shot?

ds

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
First physically crawl under the Jeep to look at the mount. Wipe it down and see if it's got any cracks in the rubber or poly. If it does, it's shot. Also if the metal shows cracks, it's bad.

Watch the engine as the engine is rev'ed. If the engine rises up off the mount... it's a good bet the mount is toast.

Also make sure the transmission stud is not installed tight. There's some slop in the mount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts