Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys...stop the laughter....yes, I have A/C on my 89 Wrangler. Its about time to recharge b/c one of the compression fittings came loose. I figure I can retighten the fitting and add more oil and freon. (I have a hook-up) The question is, does anyone know just how to add the refrigerant? We have a set of manifold gauges at school, and I can figure how to hook up the hoses correctly. I just need some pressure specs on what all the seals can handle and what I need to put in. The drier sight glass just shows spatters, so I'm pretty low. Help me out guys

Another thing..My A/C hasn't been working for about 2 years. I finally got bored enough to try and fix it. I traced the A/C clutch turn-on lead back to this funky looking black box over by the relays. Inside this thing was electronics crap. About five or six wires ran into this thing. One was a ground, one had 12 volts, one went to the A/C clutch, and one of the others went to the thermostat in the cab, I guess. My clutch wasn't turning on, so I bypassed whatever this was and plugged a relay in in its place...A/C clutch works like a charm now. Anybody know what the hell that thing was that I bypassed? Thanks for any help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If your system has been open for 2 years you're gonna need a new drier. You also can't get R-12 without an A/C service license, but you can switch to R-134a pretty easily. You will need to vac the system to remove all air before the recharge. Add to the low side, there should be a sticker under the hood to give total capacity of system which is what you will need after the vac. It has been so long since I've done A/C I can't remember the psi #'s, I should be able to remember, but I can't. Maybe I'm gettin' old...

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Sounds like you bypassed the (part of) thermostat switch.
Utah is right , best to have it vacumed out IF IT WAS EMPTY.
I'm not sure what you did to bypass it?
If you have more questions , post more , or e-mail me.... I'll see if I can help. A/C IS my field.
Let me know.

Wider is better but taller is cooler!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this piece I bypassed couldn't have been part of the switch, because the switch is in the A/C housing. I cut the turn-on lead and the ground lead and ran in a wire from the thermostat and a 12v power lead. I plugged these wires into a relay, and it works now

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know someone w/ an A/C license....hell, I might even get one...I hear they aren't hard to get. I don't think the fitting is loose enough to lose all pressure...just a slow leak

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Sorry.......I thought I could help.
You can get the license(it's a f'n joke) it's the knowhow that is'nt.
Don't mean to be a "d*ck" but ask your friend , after that response.

"cain't help somebody that don't wanna be"

Wider is better but taller is cooler!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.