Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Dave,
I don't quite follow you. Are you saying that all the vacuum tubing to the front axle is missing? Where is this "4x4 harness" and one way valve located?
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Dioxide,
I think that blue tube with the check valve on the end of it just hangs there, serving as a vent. My 86 Cherokee has the same front axle disconnect system as your YJ, just the physical locations of all the parts are different. Your 98 XJ doesn't have the disconnect, so you can't look at it for help. There are 3 tubes on the axle shift motor, one being 4wd, another being 2wd and the third is a connection to a "vacuum to electric" switch for the dashboard 4wd light. Start the engine, leave the transfer case in 2wd, crawl under the Jeep and see if there is vacuum in one of the tubes. Then shift the transfer case into 4wd and check to see if one of the other tubes now has vacuum. If you have vacuum at the shift motor in both 2wd and 4wd, then either your shift motor is bad or the axle collar is stuck. Remove the shift motor by loosening the 4 bolts. Check the collar to see if it is loose; if it is stuck, free it and grease the splines good with some axle grease. Check the shift motor to see if it moves back and forth when vacuum is applied to each port. Good luck!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.