Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a build up on a YJ. I am going to put a V8 and an auto in to this rig. I have a line on a set of D44's that are built and have 3.73 gears in them with Detroit Lockers. My question is, What is the tire size range I can run with this setup
? Is this the lowest that can be put in this case without changing the carrier? Are these axels going to hold up for a easy skinny pedal kind of guy? Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you need to switch carriers to go to the lower gears? Where is the break at? Thanks

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
With a good running v-8, and a little carelessness with the skinny pedal, you could trash those axles with 33" tires.

Depending on your intended uses, the auto could let you get away with a lot more tire under the jeep than a stick would. How much is up to what your expectations are.

Not sure on the carrier sizes, I had thought the break was between 3.53 and 3.73, but this weekend while discussing buildups with a scout nut, someone mentioned D44's break at 3.93 and down, 4.10 up. Best info would be to check a gear shop for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.