Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
I just had a brainstorm. Fabtech makes a 3" lift for the new frontiers. This is an a-arm kit and torison job Im almost sure. That kit might just be able to be adapted to work on the xterra since its basically the same suspension as the frontier pickup. I saw the kit in an off-road mag of some sort a few months back, but have not been able to locate the article. Try getting in touch with fabtech, and see what they may have. The lift was technically for a 2wd, however, the a-arms should be similar if not perhaps the same! Who knows? This is just a little brainstorm, but it might be worth something. Whitt, have at it buddy! See what you can find, and let us know! You can always do shocks with the kit, just measure yours and give the length and mounting type to the sales rep at whereever you buy shocks from. Lets cross our fingers, and see what happens! Dont get too excited yet, lets see if it works! :)

Happy Trails
Wade

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's funny you mentioned that, I was just thinking the same thing but for a body lift. I don't know for sure but you would think that the body mounts would be similar to the Frontier or maybe even a 95 and earlier Pathfinder since thery are basically just a spin-off from them?
Just a thought?

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif"Go Solid or Go Home"/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, auto customizers has a frontier 3" body lift, that should (maybe) work on the frontier. Or you are right, a path body lift should do the trick perhaps also. Depends on the body mounts. Ill have to look into that, and see what happens. We might have whitt off the ground after all! 3" susp and 3" body..hmmmm, can you say 33"s? :)

Happy Trails
Wade

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm with ya brother! No need to kick the man when he's down and trying to get it up, haha (NO PUNN INTENDED???) If some of these option do work, he still has a few other's in order to achieve more wheel travel. The spacers you mentioned, also trim the bumpstops? Do you know if they have a rear pan-hard bar or track arm I guess, also what about longer/thinner leaf springs, I see guy's using the Mazda 2WD springs on their Toyota's because there about 4" longer and about half the thickness not to mention cheap and easy to find also.
What do you think Wade?

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif"Go Solid or Go Home"/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris,
perhaps a lower profile bumpstop, and maybe machining the stops down a little too. Energy suspension makes a variety of poly bumpstops, so im sure one of theirs would do the trick. Or, pull of the existing stops, and have a little shorter ones made at a machine shop. We might just be able to fab a kit for this thing without much custom work after all. Im thinking the rear panhard (or track, im thinking its a panhard bar, not sure..im like you havent really explored the suspension on them much yet) should have to be dropped. Hmm, didnt think of that. However, making a bracket for that should be no biggie at all. Take the existing bracket off, see how much length you need to bring it back to factory spec, and have a machine shop make one bigger and badder than the factory one. Alignment will need some attention too. But any competent alignment shop should be able to tackle that. My idler arm and such was not affected by the kit. There arent any rear steering corrections with the a-arm setups that im aware of. I would suggest an idler arm brace (auto customizers has one for the xterra already for 30 bucks), and a good steering stabllizer. Im thinking driveshaft angle/lengths should be fine. Mine was unafected by the TM 4" kit, and once again, im not aware of any complications with the paths with a-arm lifts in this department. Dont want to get the xterra off the ground, but blow u-joints too. Im thinking this might just work! Who knows. Crossmemeber location would stay the same for the torisons too. The factories should be able to handle the preload. Our little a-arm lift should net the use of 32" tires I would think. Auto customizers has that body lift too, checked that out. Im sure the body mounts for the crew cab frontier and the xterra are the precise same thing. That shouldnt be a problem at all. If I think of anything else, Ill post my thoughts, you do the same chris! Cross your fingers and toes folks!

Happy Trails
Wade

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never run leaf springs, do you think it would be neccessary to drop the pan-hard even though the axle is mounted to the springs and then springs to the shackles? The reason I had mentioned the pan-hard was to help increase buddy's wheel travel by cutting the bar in half or even better using a two piece one just a little bigger than the other so it will slide along freely and then sticking in a disconnect pin for use on the street. I've seen lot's of Jeep guy's do this and I looked into it also, but this set-up won't work with coil springs. I'm also wondering if there is a flip shackle that would fit???
I know this might cost a bit, but what about those IFS trophy truck set-ups, they seem to get some wicked travel out of them.

Chris J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, decisions decisions. Im not sure on that one. I was thinking more along the lines of my truck. The leaf packs didnt really cross my mind. It might be possible to not worry about it. Thats beyond me to be honest. I would have to look at the xterra a little more closely to make that call. A teloscopic bar would be sweet, and perhaps not that difficult to do. Thats one of those things I would have to get my hands on and play with to figure out how to do it. A reverse shackle would be interesting, and give a little more travel, but im not sure of one that would work. However, Daystar makes extended greaseable shackles for the hardbodys, and I would like to think that the daystar shackle would probably work. I would bet if you looked at spring packs from the hardbody, and the frontier, you would find a good number of similarities. Thats another thing to look into. Ive always been into coils too, so leaf packs really arent my thing. I know a fair amount about them, but know more about the coil setups. Who knows, have to look into all these things I suppose!

Happy Trails
Wade Colvard
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL, well, I guess thats one less concern. Stupid me. Guess we wont have to worry about it. Like I say, Im used to my coil sprung path, not used to working on leaf sprung vehicles. Oh well!

Happy Trails
Wade Colvard
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pan-hard is really easy to do, not a big job at all, but like I said I had to find out the hardway that they don't work for coil sprung rear-ends only for the leaf's. have you seen that new "Revolver Shackle" kit, it's just come onto the market and as usual only for SHEEP'S whoops I mean Jeeps right now. It's really cool not only are the big and beefy, flip down and up but they will also rotate or revolve should I say, kind of like what my friend did with his bronco except he built himself pivoting spring pads which work basically on the same principle. They are pretty wild I must say!

Chris J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just paste a "Stump" sticker on my forehead too wade, but I do know they work on the jeeps, that was where I originally got the idea?????????????????
I don't know maybe that wasn't me after all?

Chris J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update! Check-out the "GM SUV's & Small Trucks" board and look under the title Long Travel bla,bla,bla, apperently one of the guy's there was looking on the Chevy site and found someome in the process of making up some long travel A-arms and shock mounts etc.
Just thought it might be worth looking into?

Chris J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Revolvers

Chris, I had the opportunity to see some Revolver shackles in action a couple of weekends ago down in Canyonlands. A good friend of mine installed them on his M38 (Sheep???) He had to modify his spring hangers as the Revolvers are made to fit the newer Jeeps w/the wider leafs. They worked great, were very interesting to watch over rough terrain. Not cheap but my friend said they were well worth the $$$.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Revolvers

Cool! They also have a website which has some short video footage showing those puppies in action. I can't remember it but it probably revolver.com or something?

Chris J.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Just to let you all know. the new frontier's, x-terra's, and crew-cab's have a different suspension than the (w)d21 series trucks.
the difference is there is no longer a shaft running through the uppercontrol arms to mount it. the lower control arms are different too,
nissan did away with the strut brace mounted to the frame. it now has 2 pivot points instead of a singe and the strut. as for the rear it
seams like nissan put the leaf springs under the axle. except for the 4x4 king cab and reg cab models the desert runners 4x2, all
x-terra's, and all the crew cabs i have seen all mount under axle. i may be wrong about crew cabs but the rest of my info is first hand
so look out before you go modifyng suspensions. and as always keep pestering rancho, superlift , and trailmaster, i know one of them
has to want my money!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts