Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My name is mike. This the first time I've posted on this board. I currently own a 90 GMC K1500. I'm looking at selling it and buying either a XJ or a ZJ around the early tp mid 90's model. The used prices for them are about the same here in New Mexico so it will depend on which would be better for me. I do a little four wheeling with a friend that has a 93 XJ with 5.5" of lift with 32/11.50/15's. I will be using it as a dailly driver for the most part with only twice a month off roading with nothing to extreme. I was wondering which would be the best buy for me. I defenitly want the I6 and a four door for the kid and dog. Which transfer case and options should I look for. I due plan on lifting it some to clear larger tires but probably not into the 33" range. Any help would be appreciated.
Drizzt97

That which does not kill us, only makes us work on the truck more!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i couldnt choose really i love them both but like coils in the rear of the ZJ alot. SCRAM

It's All Out or Nothing At All!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Do a search on this board for "which t-case." Pretty helpful. Personally for price, I'd opt for the XJ. A late model would be pretty danged reliable (hell, even an early one is reliable. A few problems with the ZJs have been mentioned, but only certain years and certain trannys/t-cases. (Do a search for ZJ on this board -- there are few enough ZJ entries that you could find out how to dodge these). The ZJ is super comfy and rides nicer. It is prime choice, but is more expensive and costs even more to fix.

'88 MJ SporTruck
365K on 2.5L (Energizer Bunny Package)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my dad has an XJ and my buddy has a ZJ.....i have driven and ridden in both extensivly...definatly go with the ZJ as far as performance in handling and ride quality, comfort, power (if you get the v-8) and stock, it is just a much more capable vehicle..parts may me a little more, and the purchave price may be a little more, but I think you would be happier in the long run.....it's kind of like comparing a suzuki samari to a jeep TJ.....both are great vehciles, but with one, you get sooo much more and you'll kick yourself for not spending a couple grand more...make sure you get the laredo w/leather and v-8 or it's not worth the difference in price. i'm just babbling.......all just thoguhts...do what you like.......but i'd go with the ZJ hands down!
-Aaron

uuh......is this like really happening and stuff?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No question here, the XJ is the way too go. The 4.0 just doesn't cut in the heavier ZJ. Look in the 93-96 range for the best deals on very reliable XJs, don't be deterred by higher miles. The ZJ coils on four corners make for a nice on road ride though, but I would still go with the XJ anyday over a ZJ.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Um, isn't the ZJ IFS?? I understand it's a capable vehicle, but you will never the flex out of it you would from an XJ. I would agree, the ride is much better, but for off-road ability I would go with the XJ hands down. Plus in the ZJ the interior seems a little closed in, just my opinion, but I feel a bit claustrophobic <sp in it. My .02

http://suzukisteve.rockcrawler.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ZJ...IFS??? no no no no...the ZJ is not IFS. It has the quadra coil suspension...the same as the prized TJ...well actually the ZJ had it first...then the TJ borrowed the design. Actually...I would have to say hands down the ZJ would be a better vehicle offroad if you can afford it.(lifts are more expensive for the ZJ) I would go for the ZJ. You will get better flex, smoother ride and the interior is nicer to boot....one thing though...the ZJ is heavier...you need the V8 if you go with the ZJ...the straight six will seem a little sluggish with larger tires like 32". You could go with the inline six if you were planning in the future to do a gear change...which also brings another point...if you buy a Jeep...whether you think so now or not, I gurantee you are gonna get Jeep fever..now you want 31", then 32"'s..heck, later you are gonna want 35"...just watch and see...it's a Jeep thing!!!

push your limits, be extreme...anything less and you'll never learn.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yeah, look at that front axle. You can't get a Dana 30 with IFS -- only solid. Until, that is, with that new Liberty. Supposedly they have a Dana 30 that does IFS, but I wonder if it's the Dana 35 front (which has the Dana 30 cover, and looks nothing like a rear 35). The front 35 looks like a 30 in every way, except for the output shaft lip on the case is chopped on one side to allow the CV axle to slide in. They used them on '98+ Fords.

'88 MJ SporTruck
365K on 2.5L (Energizer Bunny Package)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I think I will go with the XJ. I want to stick with the 4.0L for a little better gas mileage. My father-in-law has a ZJ with the 4.0 and got like 26 mpg on a trip from W. Virginia to Texas. He said the only complaint he had with his auto was that it kept kicking out of overdrive often. But I think I will go with the XJ just because it will be less likely to get stolen here in Albuquerque. I also like the look of the XJ lifted with a set of MT's on it. If I can get a picture of my friends XJ I will post it. Thanks for the advice.
Drizzt97

That which does not kill us, only makes us work on the truck more!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.