Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been reading all the post about distributors (teamrush, you sound like your pretty wired about this stuff) got me thinking
I'm, using a dual point distrubutor on a '94 chevy v-6 (not what i really want)
i got my engine (long block) bare, when researching distributors for this "even fire 4.3 litre without a computor"(or fuel injection) i could not find a factory original HEI that ran off "One Wire" (non-computor) for this V-6
i talked to a few people about getting a V-6 and some V-8 parts, but i came down to the where i could not find a "ignition module" that would work, (GM had a part # but went discontinued)
So, i'm not sure if i got my facts correct but this is my question: does anyone know what i need? or where i can get the parts?, (i don't really want a costly custom job, that's why i ended up getting the dual point)

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
This is easy,
Just call MSD for a CDI module,
Even fire will use the very reasonably priced MSD 6A at about $135.
Then disconnect the second set of points in your distributor, and hook the points wire to the 'White' wire from the MSD box.
The voltage used by the MSD to trigger the module are so small that the points last virtually forever, and the Dwell is taken over by the Module, so the second set of points does no good except to confuse the module if they are misadjusted.

==OR==
Any even fire V-6 distributor with an electronic pickup will work with the MSD 6 series, or the DuraSpark modules. (We don't use the GM modules unless we have to.)
The MSD is about $135 to $250 depending on what model you pick...
The DuraSpark module starts at around $15.00..... (Not a misprint, under $20. Pretty cheap)...
One is CDI, one is inductive, both are better than conventional points.

==Conclusion==
Nearly ANY magnetic pickup can be used to trigger MSD, DuraSpark or any of the other factory type modules. Custom billet distributors are a waste of money that could be better spent on stuff like.....BEER!

If I had cut the computer out of the loop like you, I would try to find a magnetic pickup distributor, and use a Dura Spark module and TFI coil to fire your GM engine.
(That dual point distributor will not work with the DuraSpark module)

The next choice would be use your current distributor, or a magnetic pickup distributor, and a MSD 6A module, like I stated above.

Cap, Rotor and Plug Wires will have to be for what ever distributor you wind up with.
I'm sure MSD could help you with that...

Does this answer your questions?

Later, Aaron.

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets...

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
He said he looked for a stock distributor and couldn't find one...
I suppose an GM HEI would work, if for no other reason to trigger the MSD or other module.

Several companies make conversion kits to pull the coil out of the HEI cap, and I do advociate that.
If you do, you can use a much better coil than the stock HEI coil....

Good point, Brownbagg.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Here is what I know about the 4.3 V6 HEI. In 1985 some 4.3 V6 engines were equipped with a Quadrajet (usually the Feedback version) and an HEI with the Electronic Spark Control (ESC). It would be possible to get a remanufactured ESC (which has the vacuum advance and a 5 pin ignition module) from a 1985 Chevy 1/2 ton truck with a 4.3 V6, making sure to get the HEI with the vacuum advance. Problem is, there will be need to convert to a 4 pin ignition module. This is possible to do. It would be possible to convert a V8 HEI to a V6 HEI as well.
Change the main shaft and pickup coil of the V8 to V6 parts. Use AC Delco 4.3 V6 mainshaft part # 1987627. Use a 1979 Buick V6 even fire 231 pick up coil. I'd also recommend using the vacuum advance from the 1985 Chevy 1/2 pickup with the 4.3. I've made this combination of parts work for less that $50, old V8 HEI not included.
dave
dave

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Dave has always given good info in the past....
This sounds like the plan. I'm not much into 6 cylinder anything...
The module change isn't a problem, but finding a single year of distributor might be...

With a new module and module to cap pigtale, you could use a 'normal' HEI cap and coil.

I bow to Dave's wisdom on this one...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got out my old notes:
i found that a 85 to 90 light trucks and astro vans used a distrubutor part # 1103572 and i think part # 990F26 ignition module would make what i want, a stand alone (12 volt, 1 wire) HEI
this sound like what your talking about, "getting the GM 4.3 HEI with a 5-pin ignition module and changing it to a 4-pin"
so i quit looking for this part, i think i tried and just couldn't find one and exhausted my research possibilities.(pre-internet)/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

how about a GM or other part # for this ignition module?

i'm going to price a remanufactured "85 chevy 1/2 ton truck 4.3 HEI" tomorrow,

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
my question is , what is the differents between the 4.3, 3.2, 2.8 etc. motor blocks. they pictures that team rush had look real close to my 3.1. I mean real close. It look like I could slip my hei in and it be the same motor. I was just thinking a 231 HEI would bolt right in with no modification.

brownbagg

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i priced remanufactured '85 4.3 HEIw/Vaccum adv. $140 plus $70 core, without cap/coil/rotor(too much$) also found a used '86 1/2ton truck 4.3 HEI w/vacuum, cap/coil, rotor for $45.(planning on getting it)
i still am not clear about swapping the ingition module(which one to use). Dave can you get me what i need? or tell me were i can get it?
i would be willing to send you the distributor if needed, also i would of course pay you for your parts and time.

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
a 90 degree chevy V-6 (4.3/262cid, 3.8 & 3.2) are just like a standard small block chevy V-8 missing 2 cylinders (the 4.3 uses 350 pistions and has the same stroke)
chevy also has a 60 degree V-6 the 2.8 (no parts are interchangable)
the buick V-6's 231 and 225 are also completely different from the chevys engines
(to confuse me even more they made: even, odd and semi-odd fire 90 degree V-6's also)
so anyway my problem is chevy never made a HEI distibutor for a 4.3 that didn't need a coumputor to operate. (a conversion seems simple, i just don't know exactly what i need or were to i can get it)

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Go to the parts store and order a module for a 1980 V-8 or I-6 HEI anything except for police cars or corvettes.
This should be the correct module, and it is just an electronic switch for the coil.
(four connectors, and no computer control means external advance required)
Then all you need is the shaft with the correct reluctor (6 cylinder), and the correct pickup coil (6 cylinder).

I see what Dave is getting at. The engine you are talking about used the same distributor housing as other engines, all you need is a few parts to achieve your goal without the enormous price tag.

I just never deal with V-6 engines very much, and the entire GM V-6 families are nuts to keep parts straight on if you don't work with it every day.
(Not may people race V-6 engines around here.)
Dave is an auto shop teacher, and seems to be VERY knowledgable about this engine and distributor.
I can hold my own with anybody on V-8's, but I'm bright enough to bow to an authority I'm not well versed on.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Aaron.

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
question : if the six piston fire at the same interval. why would it not matter if it was a 60 degree or 90 degree engine.. the degree decribe piston design tilt to centerline of block. I still think a vaccum hei from a 231 will work. I might and proberly is, wrong but at this time in moment,confused.

brownbagg

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i don't know, never seen a Buick V-6 next to a Chevy V-6.
i'm just guessing it's different, the chevy distributor mounts straight up and down at the back of the motor, and the buick distributor mounts at an angle on the front of the engine. i'm going to a junk yard tomorrow to pick-up a Chevy 4.3 HEI and i'll look for a 231 and compare the 2.

also i wanted thank you 3, brownbag, teamrush and dave for all the help, i'll tell you how it ends up.

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went and bought a 86 1/2ton truck 4.3 ditributor today ($45) and took it to auto-zone, i bought a '80 4 pin ignition module, new cap/rotor, wire set and capacitor(with harness)$60.
i didn't understand how the 4 pin replaced the 5 pin (and computor harness) until i seen the 2 wires coming from the pickup coil. now it makes sence (it sounded simple before, it just wasn't clear in my head)
i'm either going to get a conector the for 2 wires to the (new) module, or: i was told a pickupcoil ($10) from a early non computor 3.8, V-6 come with the 2 wire conector on it (they had to order them) when i comes in, if it's right i'll just swap it out instead of splice the 2 wires on the old one.

also i'm getting the new parts to hopefully make it more dependable, i tested the vacuum advance(works) the cam gear, mechanical fly weights and 2 springs all look in good shape, rotates freely.

it has afew miles on it and i'm going to use the old coil $(unless it don't work) can you all think of anything else that would be good to check or replace while i have it in the living room.

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.