Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this question has been asked a hundred times but I need some help. I have a 1988 Jeep YJ and I am looking for a lift kit. I was told by an off road shop here in Colorado that besides Old Man Emu I should go with a Warn Black Diamond kit. Can anyone give me some feedback on this kit? I plan on buying this kit in the next few months but I am unsure if this is the right kit? I don't have the money for EMU but I do for pretty much any other kit. Please give me any help you can.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just saw an article in four wheeler about skyjacker's new monoleaf suspension for YJs. It looked pretty snazzy. No interleaf friction so I bet with a set of RS9000s and a shackle reversal, you'd ride better than a caddy.
Travis

Inquire about my witty original saying contest/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the question has been asked 1001 times... /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

General acceptance of lift kits: you get what you pay for. Buy the best shocks you can (RS9000's, OME, or Black Diamond XT's)... As long as you beat the L out of the springs, they'll all soften up over time.

I love my Black Diamond, it's a 3.5" lift... However, National Springs makes a 7 (is it 7 in the front)?? leaf front pack, allowing for better overall load stability and articulation. I haven't personally ridden with a Jeep with Nationals, so don't quote me on this! /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

Just remember, its all about the FUN! Happy Jeepin!

Another Jeepgeek!
Jon YJ94

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the black diamond 3.5 also (I think). I like it alot. But I have riden in a jeep with national springs and there is no comparison in ride just dollars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gonna be the one that throws SOA into the mix....
It's a nicer ride (cant compare it w/ National's, never ridden on them)
it flexes a lot better (A WHOLE LOT)
it's taller than all the other lifts out there (5 inches or so)
it get's the springs up away from the rocks

The downsides are
It's not a bolt on mod (welding required)
it requires a bit of creativity, thought, and inginuity (Or you can use Rubicon Expresses kit, it helps a LITTLE)
it's not cheap (roughly the same as a good quality spring kit...under a grand total, unless you want spring over steering too)
you WILL need a SYE (slip yoke eliminator)

OK, i LOVE mine, wont own another jeep with out.
BJ

to hell with it, lets go wheelin'

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.