Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend some decent replacement speakers for the dash in my 93 Wrangler? I need them to hold up to the outdoor enviroment. Some rich guy owned the jeep before me and never took the top off, so he WEDGED (I don't see how they fit at all-- they are bending the grill part) a set of Polk audio 4x6's. Well I get the jeep, the top comes off, and the speakers are just about to kick the bucket.

Also, does anyone know of ways to protect speakers from the elements?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have replaced the speakers in mine, lets see, 5 times now. I had some pretty crappy speakers that came with my 87yj. I originaly put some pioneer 4x6 composite speakers in it. 6 weeks later the speaker blew from water damage. I moved to 4x6 polk plate speakers, 4 weeks , water damage. Then I made a box to hang below the dash to hold the 4x6 speakers. Now I am designing a box to "saddle" the tranny hub under the dash from the fire wall almost to the shifters to hold some 6 1/2 composite speakers.

Yes, the speakers behind the dash are CRAMMED in there, but they do come out. The passenger side is the easiest, but the driver's side was a royal PITA. I ended up tying all of the under dash wires as close to the steering colum as I could and then reaching with my fingers to take the nuts off the studs welded to the back of the dash. If they are stuck, like half of the ones were when I first replaced the speakers, then use a deep socket from a 1/4 in. ratchet. The ratchet won't fit back there, so just use the socket. When I put the new speakers back behind the dash, I used some wing nuts and a couple of beers to make it a little easier. If you get frustrated easily, the beer might be a necessity.

Good luck.

Robert87yj

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm considering just taking the 4x6's out and relocating the speakers elsewhere. They get a little protection if I keep the doors on, but still not enough to block the huge amounts of dust.

I've heard mixed reviewso n soundbars. Any comments?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put some pioneers in from Wal_mart and they are super loud. I was impressed. They only cost me $44 and went in so easy. I don't remember the exact model but if you have a walmart around you, go check them out. It's the only speaker set in a blue and white box (mostly white) for $44. I was going to buy the sound bar from 4WD hardware, but these things are quite loud enough with room to spare....

88YJ I4 Stock... so far
Cosmetic Upgrade:SS Hinge set with CJ Mirorrs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The in dash speakers are rather small due to space allowed. Oblong ones were the only ones that would fit in my YJ, and they were not very good. The sound bar puts a speaker at your ear, and for me that works very well. My TJ seldom gets rained on but is usually fully open during the summer - no doors or top, but I do keep it in the garage. Have had no trouble with stock sound bar speakers. You might try a boat place. All kinds of open boats are now sold with radios, CD's etc. Surely they have addressed the mosture problem with the speakers. Let us know what you find out.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
exactly you want to find marine speakers they cost about $10 more than a comparable set of regular speakers. I've gotten mine really wet a few times and they're still kicking (pioneer 6x9's mounted in soundwedge boxes)

-MarkyMark
80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a thought. Get a sound bar without speakers, then go to a boat store and get some water-resistant speakers.
In my CJ I mounted marine type speakers to the rear fender tubs and they've lasted 2 yrs so far.

Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.