Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just placed my order with Carparts.com for my new gauges, Autometer Ultra-Light Liquid filled gauges. I liked them ever since I saw them the first time in a Summit catalogue. I heard that Carparts was really slow on the shipping and had bad service. I called them on the telephone and could not get anyone in performance. I left a message and description of my order with a cust. serv. rep. and they never called me back, huh. I then called them later when they were not so busy, got to talk to a real person after a short wait on the phone, under 5 min. The guy was really helpful. Looked up all of the gauges, part numbers and prices for the different forms of all the gauges. I placed my order and they said that my order would be here in about five business days, next Tuesday. I just thought that I would share my very happy moment with everyone here cause my girlfriend just could not relate. If I told her I ordered some pants or a bathing suit she could relate, probably, but not gauges. I am not sure who they ship with but it was about $25 to ship all of the gauges, I guess you pay more b/c they are not shipped in a kit or one larger box but seperately. I will let ya'll know if they screw anything up and if so what they plan to do about it. Hopefully I will be able to get to my jeep sometime soon. I still need to design the layout for the custom dash. Anyone got any ideas about a Dash layout for the gauges, Eclipse radio, and a full size CB. I thought about making the Dash hinged so that If I need to get to anything I just unhinge it and fix whatever it is easily and right side up. I ordered four gauges and a speedo, 2 5/8 and 5". I will also be installing a new Heater and two of the outlets will be in the dash, heat I can aim what a luxury. I think I will just make a drawing of what I think the Dash will look like and then scan it for ya'. Any ideas of how to hinge the Dash without looking tacky or having a hinge running in plain sight? Well, If anyone has any neat ideas let me know. TIA
THANX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did I send you the pics from http://customjeep.com with my dash pics?
They look fiberglass and pricey but might give you some more ideas.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, you sent it to me. Looks a lot better with paint on it and installed. They look very nice. I like the idea. How do you get the nice rounded corners in the metal without a visible seam?

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pics of my dash were unfinished. The painted ones with round corners were from the web site I mentioned. Looks like fiberglass not sure how they did it if not.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
78 Posts
Instead of hinges, how about tracking down the gauge panel from a military. cutting a square hole in the dash and putting the military panel over the hole. You can attach it with Dzus (spelling ?) fasteners or even just 4 screws. Then you can easily pop it out to get at the wiring for the gauges. I used one from an M38A1 and it works fairly slick. You have to come up with some sort of use for the funky blackout dash lights that are in it though. I use mine for turn signal indicators.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.