Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif I guess we'd better add beer to the topics that you don't discuss.....that really uncorked a lot of pros and cons. THERE ARE TIMES when having a beer just seems to "fit", and the end-end-of-the-day bull session might be one of them. I was on a jury for a DUI charge, and I have to tell you, it changed the way I viewed drinking.....period. I made up my mind that it was NEVER going to be me sitting there, looking at a huge fine....or....as in his case with a 'prior'....sunshine with little stripes in it. I have a beer occasionally, BUT....I never, ever, drive after drinking anything!....no matter how little it is. Here in homoland, it's a BIG problem if you get busted for DUI. I don't have any control over a guy crossing the center line and hitting me, but I DO have control over getting busted for DUI. A cold beer IS appropriate when say you get everything all hooked up, and you are sitting around the shop waiting for the vacuum pump to evacuate the A/C system, and it's 100 degrees(if it wasn't hot, why work on the A/C?) and you aren't GOING anywhere when you get finished because it's your next-door neighbor's pickup./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifNobody in my family has ever abused alcohol, but there are plenty who do. When I go to these huge brewries and watch the twenty-five foot wide conveyor moving twenty-four hrs a day, SOMEONE is drinking that beer, my share AND their's too!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I gotta agree with you 100% on this one. If this sport wants a black eye, just portray the flagrant use of alcohol while in a motorized vehicle, any motorized vehicle, anywhere. I believe in most states you can be cited for DUI offroad, in a boat, on a snowmobile, etc. These are inherintly more dangerouse than commuting, why add an additional problem, i.e. impaired judgement? A recent post on getting stuck has someone and their significant other downing a coldpack while out wheeling. That information serves no purpose other than to reflect on the posters personal problems. Sorry, I feel very strongly about this, I provide emergency services in an area hard hit with drunk drivers. I have also lost some very close friends to drunk drivers, one in the last two weeks. I take it very personally.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

G

·
I was nearly killed by a drunk driver in 1997, the drunk driver was killed. Pretty much ended my airforce career, I ended up on disability, feeling guilty about living, I get sick looking at people getting drunk, My wife was the first one to discover the accident and kept me alive till the fire dept. arrived, it really put her through hell. I never looked at the other thread when I saw the number of posts. My last thought, a day never goes by that I think of the senseless death of Todd Crawford, october 27 1997, may he rest in peace.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ditto's for CJDave! In fact when i am looking at going on a trail ride, I find out what their policy is concerning alcohol on the trail...if its allowed, I aint there...if it is part of the festivities at the end of the day, I am all over it.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
JK
O|||O
78CJ5 360

G

·
I am going to try to attach some picts, this may take a couple trys, that ranger was a two wheel drive, before an f-150 hit it. The drunk driver was decapitated by my left front wheel thats sitting in the bed. Lifes a b*tch but this is not the way to get out of it.
jjc

G

·
I totally agree with you guys on the topic of staying sober and driving. Hey, I mean its hard enough to keep the Jeep upright sometimes even when your sober :). I have lost a relative and a friend to drunk drivers, and I know that the last thing I want to do is get behind the wheel. Having Jeepers known for drunk driving on the trails is the last thing we need, that will only lead to trail closings and that hurts everyone.

MattYJ
89YJ 4.2 5"lft 33"Firehawk ATX

G

·
Alcohol is the juice of evil, like the freuits of the devil. Beer is bad, mmmmm-k. Like above, REsPonciBility duDe. I follow the motto of my brand Berghoff "Drink a little Beer." The key word is 'Little,' and common sense is always expected.
For a person to get cited with a DWI in WI, I think it ends up costing $5,000 or so-- not to mention the hassle and no driving license for awhile.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Youd be hard pressed to find ANYONE who hasnt lost a freind or relative to a drunk driving accident.

Christ, who doesnt know this?
is the argument you should not drink?
OR
you shouldnt drink and drive?

on one you have my FULL support, on the other you have a fight on your hands..
Maybe I just over assumed the sum of intellect of the group.
its VERY simple

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now

G

·
What really amazes me about the other post is the number of people that claim that beer makes them better drivers, able to focus better. I'm relatively certain that I could find a study that says that blind people are better drivers than those who can see, but I don't think I'm going to press for legalized blind drivers anytime soon. The fact of the matter is that alcohol is a depressant of the central nervous system. The way in which it works dulls the reflexes and senses of everyone, no matter what they think or say. And if one thinks that having a few drinks makes them a better driver, or a more focused driver, it is obvious that the false sense of security that alcohol builds up in individuals is hitting them quite hard. No one that gets into a car to drive drunk thinks they're drunk. They all think they're fine. I don't really want to piss off anyone (and I probably should have kept my mouth shut) but people really shouldn't believe everything that they hear...or feel. Alcohol is a depressant, and there is no arguing with that...unless you wanna advocate falsehoods. I don't fall into the "never drink" camp...I will have a beer or a glass of wine with dinner and drive home. But I think that having one alcoholic beverage, over the course of an hour, for a 6'tall, 170# man, with a full dinner, is a reasonable action. Does it dull my reflexes? I'd have to say that I can't really notice the effects that one beer has on me, when drank with dinner. I probably wouldn't feel the effects of two or three beers. But they certainly do have an effect on me, however miniscule. I am reminded of the movie made on the Grisham book, A Time to Kill. A couple ********, drinking and driving, commit a horrible crime. If we drink and wheel, we are giving ourselves the same reputation. If anyone wants to argue with me, saying that alcohol doesn't effect them, fine. I've said my peace on this one, and won't get drawn into a protracted argument. But the simple truth that should be nagging away at the back of your mind is that you're wrong. I dunno...maybe I'm a hypocrit for drinking anything and driving (even if I wouldn't do so unless under the most specific of "good" circumstances with a minimal amount of alcohol). Maybe I should follow in the ways of CJDave. Boy, when he decides to write his book, I want a signed copy.

Evolution of tools: stone, hammer, wrench, socket, impact, really big hammer, blue wrench.

·
Registered
418 Posts
In reply to:

I'm relatively certain that I could find a study that says that blind people are better drivers than those who can see.....
Well, let's see..... 99.999% of auto accidents involve drivers who are not blind. This obviously proves that functional eyeballs cause automobile accidents. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

-Dana

Ever notice that after a shooting spree, they always want to take away the guns from the people that DIDN'T do it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.