Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I went mudding last night /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif, nothing extreme though since my engine is still leaking oil /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif(taking her in Monday- I promise!) and, well, how extreme can you get in an almost stock rig? Everything was going just fine, and we all took a break to stand around and BS so I took the opportunity to put the finishing touches on my snorkel and hook the sucker up. It looks great, and seemed works great, so I hit some sloppier holes and had a blast. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Now the carb wont idle /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif I brought it home and pulled the snorkel's adapter plate off the carb and took a good look at it- clean as ever. I cranked it up and kept it running while I sprayed out both venturi bolts (engine starts to die- so its not vacume leaks) and this did nothing. I sprayed down the throat of the carb- nothing, I sprayed everything I could see...nothing! Its a Weber 38 and I'm sick of seeing my friend cruising around with 36" tires with a '76 Cherokee that has the 258 with a 1-barrell carb with no aftermarket gearing and no air cleaner or hood with no problems. HE goes into the nastiest goo and if you even stand near his truck you get muddy- dont even have to touch it. My other problem is that my clutch isn't disengaging. There was no hydraulic fluid left so I filled it up and pumped the clutch until it started to work again, but it was only a very temporary fix and a few minutes later the clutch would not disengage at all. I looked under the Jeep and there was a very small puddle of what might be hydro fluid, but could have been oil being blown back from the fan, wet mud, water, or...? This morning, six hours later, the hydraulic fluid level was still at the top, but the problem persists. No lines appear to have come undone, and the slave cylinder was replaced just under a year ago. On a side note, I heard that there is a 4WD club begining in this area called the Southbay Misfits. It is for 4x4s of any kind, south of Tampa Bay. If you live in Bradenton, drop by Pet Kingdom (by Manatee Outdoor Sports) on 14th street west to find out more.

G

·
Sounds like the idle air bleeds may be plugged in the carb, you may need a rebuild. Check inside the firewall below the clutch master for signs of fluid leakage, if none is evident, it's probably the slave (fluid will drip from the belhousing). Be sure to use only DOT4 brake fluid, since Chrysler switched to it, the life of the hydraulic systems have dramatically improved. I believe DOT5 silicone fluid would work as well also. Hope this helps, good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.